Questions about visit to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 6:13:59 #807822

Hi,

I have read alot in this forum on all the tips to enjoy the beautiful country. I have a few questions below which relates to my plan to visit Jungfraujoch. A bit of background, I will reach Lucerne from Milan on 5 Oct and intend to stay till 9 Oct and have plan to stay in Lucerne throughout. I intend to visit Jungfraujoch on 6 Oct.

May I know:

1: Should I stay in Interlaken on 5 Oct instead? So that I can have more time to enjoy the attraction. I have research that it would take some time to travel from Lucerne to Interlaken and up to Jungfraujoch. The journey from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is 2.5 hours, am I right?

2. In that case, I don’t find any train from Milan to Interlaken? Is there other alternative?

3. Based on my calculation, I think I should get a Swiss Half Fare Card. Next, how do I book my train tickets to Jungfraujoch? Does this train go through Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen as described in this portal?

Thank you.

RegardsKelvin Loo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 August 2015 at 9:06:49 #845720

Hi Kelvin,

The train rides from Luzern to Jungfraujoch and back would take about 8 1/2 hours (see http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) and visiting Jungfraujoch can sometimes be a bit tiring because of the altitude.

So, I think your idea to travel from Milano to Interlaken would be better. The timetable will show you the connections between e.g. Milano Centrale and Interlaken Ost.

There’s no need to book your train tickets in advance. On the day you want to visit Jungfraujoch you just buy your half fare tickets at one of the railway stations in Interlaken (supposing you have a Half Fare Card and you start from Interlaken).

Again, the timetable will show you the ride between Interlaken and Jungfraujoch. The connections all have a number. Click on the plus-sign below the number to get all the details, like where to change trains.

It is good to know that the train leaving Interlaken Ost is split in two at Zweilütschinen: one part going to Lauterbrunnen, the other part to Grindelwald.

A suggestion for a round trip: Interlaken Ost – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujochand on your way back: Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Zweilütschinen – Interlaken Ost.

Enjoy your stay!

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 12:38:28 #845721

Hi Wandermann,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that 8.5 hours of train rides can be tiring. However, if I travel from Milano, I will have to bring along with all my luggage. In that case, it seems to be less tiring if I sleep in Interlaken the day before. Will there be other better arrangement?

Btw, can I use the Swiss Half Fare Card to buy train ticket between Milano to Lucerne?

Thank you

RegardsKelvin Loo

Annika
    7121 posts
    25 August 2015 at 17:06:31 #845722

Hi Kelvin Loo!

I support Wandermanns advice to do the Jungfraujoch trip from Interlaken, not from Lucerne. Interlaken is pretty much along the route from Domodossola to Lucerne, so it wouldn’t be very convenient to get to Lucerne first and then head partly back towards Interlaken again. In that case it’s indeed more relaxed to spend a night there first. Hotel suggestions for Interlaken and surroundings can be found here. The next day, you can take your time and make the round trip Wandermann suggested. You may want to combine this with some more sightseeing in the Jungfrau region, or a boat ride over Lake Thun or Lake Brienz in the afternoon. Tips are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es.

The Swiss Half Fare Card will cover the Swiss leg of your inbound trip, that is, from Domodossola onward. So you need a regular ticket Milano-Domodossola, and 50% discounted tickets for the remainder of your inbound trip and the other trips you plan to make in Switzerland.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 August 2015 at 17:24:10 #845723

There are fairly large luggage lockers at the stations of Interlaken.

See also: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.7492.html

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2015 at 6:26:54 #845724

Thanks Annika and Wandermann for your reply.

I am in a dilemma now. I checked the train schedule and found that there is no direct train from Milano to Interlaken. The cheapest fare will take more than 4 hours and have to change at 3 stations. In fact, my wife and I are no staying in Milan. We plan to come up from Rome and stop over at Milan for a few hours before traveling into Switzerland. So changing 3 stations and 4 hours plus to reach Interlaken is also very tiring. Moreover, we can’t be sure that the next day going up to Jungfraujoch will have good weather.

If I travel straight to Lucerne and stay for the next 4 days, I can choose the day when there is a good weather to travel to Jungfraujoch. Because I remember I read on this site that there is possibility of bad weather. I will be travelling in early October, generally weather will be good?

Moreover, I have booked accommodation in Lucerne, although there is cancellation policy, I don’t know if I am allowed to cancel one of the days  in between of my stay. I am confused.

By the way, can I check if travelling in October as peak period? Do I have to buy ticket in advance for train or I can still buy on the spot?

Thank you very much.

Regards
    Kelvin Loo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 0:36:03 #845725

Hi,

My post might be overlooked. Can help to advise on my queries?Thanks.

1. Will weather generally be good in early October?

2. Early October is considered peak period? Do I have to buy ticket in advance for train? Or I can still buy on the spot?

RegardsKelvin Loo

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 August 2015 at 8:07:30 #845726

Hi Kelvin Loo,

Sorry for the late reply. We’ve had a short technical issue regarding updates on new forum messages indeed a few days ago.

Well, if the changes of train between Milan and Interlaken bothers you and accommodation has already been booked, I fully understand you prefer to travel straight to Lucerne. Note that there are connections to Interlaken with only one change in Spiez too. But in all, a direct train might be more comfortable for you since you’re coming from Rome, and if you don’t mind a longer travel day you can visit the Jungfraujoch from there.

Weather is changeable, and there are no guarantees for October. September is generally a fairly good month and early October could still be similar. Just keep an eye on the forecasts (some reliable ones are listed here) and try to pick the best day for the Jungfraujoch.

It won’t be peak season. You can just buy your tickets on the spot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2015 at 8:47:01 #845727

Hi Annika,

Thank very so much. That basically set my minds off and I am all ready to enjoy my holidays!!!

Yippee!

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 August 2015 at 20:20:21 #845728

Good to know! I hope you’ll have a great trip. You’re welcome to post a trip report once you’re back.

• The thread ‘Questions about visit to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.