Questions from Domodossola to Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2012 at 20:49:16 #805343

We (2 persons and a child) will be visiting Interlaken and the Jungfrau region . We are trying to plan our trip and consider options but we have a few questions regarding the Swiss Card, and Half Fare Card. We would appreciate any clarifications as it would help us to decide how we will travel.

Questions:
    1) Can I buy the Swiss Card/Half Fare Card at Milan Malpensa Airport or the Domodossola train station in Italy before going to Interlaken? Will it be more expensive? Any additonal costs?

2) Can I use the Swiss Card/Half Fare Card to buy Swiss tickets at half price at Domodossola train station in Italy, e.g. Domodossola Station,or can I only do so at Swiss stations and at the website?
    3) Swiss Card – As the Swiss Card includes the first and last trip from the border to a Swiss destination and back, can I just buy the train ticket only for Milan to Domodossola, and the rest of the journey from Domodossola to Murren would be included in the Swiss Card (journey from the border) so no need to buy tickets?

I am confused when I search a ticket from Domodossola to Brig on Italian train website
    http://www.trenitalia.com/. It requires to pay 3.5 Euro for each adult ticket with the option GA Switzerland, which should be equivalent to Swiss Card in this case.

4)If I cannot buy a Swiss Card/HalfFare Card at Domodossola Station and have to buy a full ticket for the Eurocity train to Brig/Spiez, can I buy Swiss Card/HalfFare cards and tickets for the trip from Brig to Spiez on the SBB train?

5) The Swiss card would also give me 50% discount for the cable car rides out from Murren and Wengen, and also the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn? After I buy SBB train tickets/cards,I will get a Swiss Family Card for my child, is it also free for my child to travel with us on the train to the Jungfraujoch, with the Family Card?

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    4 June 2012 at 12:48:56 #836330

Hi szmzpl! First of all, will you be making an outward journey by train as well? If so, I think you should go with the Swiss Card as that offers a free trip from Domodossola to Interlaken/Mürren, and from Interlaken/Mürren back to the border or airport. Please visit the Swiss Card page, fill out your country of residence and other data in the upper right corner, and view the purchase options that are displayed. (This works the same way at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.) Please note that online prices may be lower than displayed if you’re eligible for the Rail Europe summer sales. If you buy it in advance, you won’t have to get out at a border station to arrange for this. All you would have to do in that case is buy a regular ticket from Milan to Domodossola, arrange for seat reservations as it’s an international train, and that’s all.

Yes, the Swiss Family Card comes along for free or can be obtained for free at any Swiss railway station upon showing your Swiss Card, and it allows children under 16 to travel for fee on all routes on which the Swiss Card is valid, including cable cars and mountain trains such as the Jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 21:29:42 #836331

Hi, Arno:
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Yes, I will go to Interlaken from Domodossola on Jun 26 and will head for Chiasso to get back. In this case, I can buy a Swiss Card for this route, right? I have calculated that Swiss Card might be a much more cheaper option for me if I need not pay 4 Euros fee to buy SC in China and 3.5 Euros ticket for the Italian railway at Domodossola.

For Question 3) That’s to say that I need not to buy a ticket to Brig before I get on the train at Domodossola with a Swiss Card at hand already? I will arrive at the Domodossola Station by bus from Milan Malpensa Airport directly. Am I right? Italian Railway Website shows a 3.5-Euro ticket from Domodossola to Brig. That indeed confuses me.

If I take the train EC52 or EC54 or IC1080, shall I make any seat reservation when I get on the train at Domodossola?
    Your helps are highly appreciated indeed.

Annika
    7103 posts
    7 June 2012 at 11:17:03 #836332

Hello szmzpl. No, you don’t have to buy an additional ticket to Brig. The Swiss Card allows a free journey up to Mürren from Domodossola on. I don’t know what the Italian timetable indicates; these may be reservation costs. I find the SBB timetable the most reliable one. If you fill out your trip, click ‘Fare/Buy’, enter the order process and fill out ‘GA’ in 1st or 2nd class (similar to the Swiss Card in this case) during the 2nd step, the right amount will be displayed. The SBB timetable also indicates whether seat reservation is advised. This is how it works. I hope that helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2012 at 22:49:05 #836333

On Italian railway website, each ticket from Domo to Brig with GA2 card option will cost 3.5 Euros, which might be a reservation cost. On SBB, it costs about 7 Swiss Franks. Seat reservation is mandatory. I know what to do now.
    Many thank to you, Arno!

• The thread ‘Questions from Domodossola to Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.