Questions on day trip to Mt Pilatus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2010 at 3:25:22 #803934

Hello, We are arriving Lucerne mid morning (18/8) and are considering taking a trip to Mt Pilatus. Can we travel by boat one way and back by bus or train. And could you advise prices – a bit confused reading on line info. We expect to have a swiss saver flexi pass so would there also be any discounts for this day trip.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2010 at 9:38:17 #831624

It is a great trip. Take the boat from in front of the Luzern station to Alpnachstad, then the cog wheel train to the top. Spend some time at a restaurant or short trails then take the cable cars back down to Kreins. Here you get the bus back to Luzern. Your pass covers the boat and the bus back to Luzern. There is a 50% discount on the cog railroad and cable cars.
    Dick

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2010 at 9:58:54 #831625

Hi zandan,

Prices of the cog railroad and cable cars mentioned by Dick can be found on the Pilatus website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2010 at 15:17:11 #831626

Thanks Dick & Arno

If I am reading things correctly, would that mean I would purchase the Kriens or Alpnachstad – Pilatus Kulm – Kriens or Alpnachstad ticket for 32CHF (per adult, normally 64CHF)
    and 16 CHF (per child, normally 32) and boat and bus are free? Also does it matter which way we travel, ie bus there and boat back? Another question, I read they have a toboggan and rope park, are there any discounts with the swiss saver flexi pass?
    Regards, Zandan

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 July 2010 at 3:33:15 #831627

Hello Zandan! Yes, the adult price you mentioned is correct. Prices including the Swiss (Flexi) Pass are listed in this document as well. If you order a free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, children up to and including 15 years old will travel along for free. Children older than 15 years old will have to purchase their own Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and pay the same reduced adult fare. More details on children’s discounts can be found on the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

No, it doesn’t matter which way you travel. You don’t have to reserve seats and you can simply get on and off where and when you like. The trips from/to Kriens and Alpnachstad will be for free on a free travel day of your Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, and reduced by 50% on remaning days.

There are no discounts mentioned for holders of a Swiss rail pass in the prices lists of the toboggan run and rope park.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2010 at 5:03:15 #831628

Thanks Annika. One more question, I plan to purchase the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass when we arrive in Zurich, I presume we can just ask for the STS family card at the same time, is that correct? The children are 8 & 10. Regards, Zandan.

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 July 2010 at 6:19:06 #831629

Hello Zandan. Yes, you can ask for the STS Family Card when purchasing your Swiss Saver Flexi Pass in Zurich. Have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Questions on day trip to Mt Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.