Questions on Luzern to Bellinzona train route

• Anni
    Participant
    13 posts
    27 May 2017 at 21:13:44 #811998

I’m a bit confused on the regional trains that follow the Gotthard Panorama Express route. We will be traveling from Lucerne to Bellinzona via train (no boat). We want a regional train without a surcharge or required seat reservation. Our plan is to spend the day in Lucerne and then take train to Bellinzona by the regional route. I’m not sure if I’m reading the SBB timetable correctly. For example:

Leaving Lucerne at 15:18 there is a change in Erstfeld to the RegioExpress 4333. There is a note on the timetable between the Goschenen and Airolo stops that this is the Gotthard-Panoramastrecke. So does this require reservations and there is also a surcharge? Or is this in fact a regional train that requires neither?

Thanks for any help with this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2017 at 23:09:21 #864057

Hi Ann-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

You have run into one of the scheduling issues with trains to Italy on the Gotthard route.

The trains pass through Arth Goldau, and every other one comes from either Luzern or Zürich.

So, if you take the 1518 or the 1718 from Luzern, you get to change at Arth-Goldau. Easy. Walk across the platform and pick up the southbound from Zürich. The trains are coordinated for this process.

Leave at 1618 or 1818 and you van go direct. Even easier. No change of trains. Those coming from Zürich have to change trains at Arth-Goldau for those trains to Bellinzona.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml?suche=true&ab=true&lan guage=en&vias=%5B%22%2 2%5D&webshopPreviewMod e=&von=Luzern&nach=Bel linzona&viaField1=&dat um=Wed%2C+14.06.2017&z eit=18%3A55&an=false

You may be misreading the information. You might be picking up something from the Gotthard Panorama train, but I don’t understand what that might be. The train may go in direction Erstfeld, but you change at Arth Goldau. No reservation, no surcharge.

If I were doing it, I’d see if I could catch the train one hour later or one hour earlier, to avoid changing at Arth Goldau.

Slowpoke

Anni
    Participant
    13 posts
    28 May 2017 at 0:37:25 #864058

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don’t think I was clear in my question. When I look at your information its on the express train that goes thru the Gotthard Tunnel to Bellinzona, no local stops. We do not want to do this. We would like to take a regional train that is more scenic and passes thru Goschenen, Airolo, etc.

On the SBB site I am entering Luzern to Bellinzona via Airolo. There is a 15:18 from Luzern changing at Erstfeld to what I believe is a regional train passing thru the small towns on the way to Bellinzona and not thru the long tunnel. I would just like to confirm that this train does not require surcharge or seat reservations. I do not see the Reservation required note so I think I’m correct. When you expand the stops on the timetable between Erstfeld and Bellinzona I see Gotthard-Panoramastrecke referenced and this is where I’m confused as to whether this is a panoramic train with a surcharge.

Thanks, Ann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 2:25:49 #864059

Hi Ann,

>> I do not see the Reservation required note so I think I’m correct.

Yes, you are!

>> When you expand the stops on the timetable between Erstfeld and Bellinzona I see Gotthard-Panoramastrecke referenced and this is where I’m confused as to whether this is a panoramic train with a surcharge.

No, that doesn’t indicate that it is the Gotthard Panorama Express. It just indicates that this is the route that goes through the short tunnel between Göschenen and Airolo, i.e. the scenic route, as opposed to the 57km long Gotthard-Basistunnel.

Alpenrose

Anni
    Participant
    13 posts
    28 May 2017 at 20:41:19 #864060

Thanks so much! That answers my questions.

• The thread ‘Questions on Luzern to Bellinzona train route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.