Questions re travel in Switzerland July 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2011 at 15:15:09 #804368

Hello,

Thank you for providing this forum for questions and answers on the myriad of options for travel within Switzerland!

My husband and are arriving Zurich on July 7, we will stay in Lauterbrunnen for ~5 days to explore and acclimate, and then we will hike the Apline Pass Route (APR) for several weeks.

Our questions:

1. The Swiss Card states that it provides round trip rail to/from your “resort” to the airport or border. Our need is not literally a round trip.. Rather from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen and from Saanen back to Zurich. Is this considered to be a valid round trip on the Swiss Card?

2. Does one purchase the Swiss card, before purchasing the train tickets? I see that the online booking system for the train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen states reservation required. I don’t think I can make a reservation, without actually purchsing the ticket, and in order for the ticket to be free, I’d need to have the Swiss Card, right?

3. We conclude that the Swiss Card is a good option for us while hiking the APR, to allow for bad weather alternatives, side trips, shorten long days, etc. Would you agree? Doesn’t seem like we would really need the Swiss Pass. Please confirm if this is what you recommend.

Thank you!
    Carol

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 June 2011 at 4:11:55 #833077

Hi Carol,

I’m glad you find our forum useful! Welcome here!

1. Traveling back from Saanen is ok. You don’t have to start your return trip from the same town where your inbound trip ended.

2. It doesn’t matter when you purchase it. Ticket/passes/reservations can all be purchased separately in any order, as long as you have all travel documents when boarding the train. Here’s more information about seat reservation. You don’t need seat reservations to travel from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen.

3. I agree! It fits your plans perfectly. For more information and ordering, please review this page.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    5 June 2011 at 12:17:08 #833078

Hi Carol,

Looks like we’re neighbors! (I live in San Jose).

My husband and I and another couple did the entire APR two years ago. Are you doing the whole thing? We started in Sargans and ended in Montreux. We took 3 weeks to do it, with our algorithm being to hike 4 days then catch up with our luggage and layover a day before starting up again. Happy to relay some of our experiences, send me a PM if you’d like to talk directly.

I agree that the Swiss Card is exactly right. Be aware that validity is one month.

KimSanJose

[quote]carolh2o said: Hello,
    Thank you for providing this forum for questions and answers on the myriad of options for travel within Switzerland!
    My husband and are arriving Zurich on July 7, we will stay in Lauterbrunnen for ~5 days to explore and acclimate, and then we will hike the Apline Pass Route (APR) for several weeks.
    Our questions:
    1. The Swiss Card states that it provides round trip rail to/from your “resort” to the airport or border. Our need is not literally a round trip.. Rather from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen and from Saanen back to Zurich. Is this considered to be a valid round trip on the Swiss Card?
    2. Does one purchase the Swiss card, before purchasing the train tickets? I see that the online booking system for the train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen states reservation required. I don’t think I can make a reservation, without actually purchsing the ticket, and in order for the ticket to be free, I’d need to have the Swiss Card, right?
    3. We conclude that the Swiss Card is a good option for us while hiking the APR, to allow for bad weather alternatives, side trips, shorten long days, etc. Would you agree? Doesn’t seem like we would really need the Swiss Pass. Please confirm if this is what you recommend.
    Thank you!
    Carol[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2011 at 1:42:33 #833079

Thank you very much for the reply! You helped make it simple! I purchased the Swiss Cards yesterday, and they will be delivered on Wednesday!

Kim, would be so cool to hear about your experience. Please contact me at [email protected].

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 June 2011 at 2:07:51 #833080

Hi Carol,

Your e-mail address can best be sent via a private message by clicking Kim’s user name and then “Send a private message”. Having it on a public forum might result in people misusing it for spam.

Thanks!

• The thread ‘Questions re travel in Switzerland July 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.