Rail pass advice for March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2012 at 2:18:29 #804904

Hi
    My wife and I will arrive geneva airport 21 March and by train going to Zermatt for 2 nights before going to Lucerne for 2 nights(will travel up Mt Pilatus whilst there). After that we will travel to Austria stopping at St Anton then Salzburg and then Vienna before catcjing train to Prague on 30 March.
    Can you provide advice on best pass to purchase

Thanks Barry & Julie from Australia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 February 2012 at 14:17:40 #834818

Hi Barry and Julie, and welcome to our forum! I think a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass suits your plans. You can use the 3 free travel days for your transfers from Geneva to Zermatt, Zermatt to Lucerne and Lucerne to the Swiss-Austrian border. On the remaining days in Switzerland, you’ll profit from a 50% discount. This pass is economical especially if you plan to make short local trips during your stays in Zermatt and Lucerne.

An alternative, which could be a good option if you plan to travel quite intensively in Austria too, is the Eurail Austria-Switzerland Pass. However, this doesn’t cover as much for Switzerland as Swiss rail passes do.

Please note that you can only know for sure which pass is most economical once you’ve made pretty detailed calculations based on your plans. Does that get you started for now? Best regards,

• The thread ‘Rail pass advice for March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.