Rail pass for Zurich to Interlaken short break

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2011 at 1:59:39 #805073

Hello,

My mum and I (2 adults) have planned a short break basing ourselves in Interlaken for day trips. We will be arriving at Zurich in May and travelling by train to Interlaken where we will spend 4 nights before heading back to Zurich on the 5th day.

We need some advice on which would be the best pass to buy. We would like to visit if possible the Schilthorn, Schynige platte, Grindelwald, Berne and maybe take a boat trip on one of the lakes.

We have looked at all the swiss passes including bernese oberland but are still none the wiser!! Please can you advise as to which pass would be the best value to cover our stay? Is it better to buy in the UK before we go? Any ideas for a rough itinerary?!

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 April 2011 at 4:22:38 #835376

Hi Travelbug1,

This sound like a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would be a good option. You can best buy it in advance, as that would allow you to purchase a ticket Zurich – Interlaken with a discount for the leg Bern – Interlaken, as that is included in the regional pass. The ticket can be purchased at the ticket counter on the airport or main station. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page provides all the details and purchase options.

You can use the timetable to plan your trips, and you might want to check this example day trip of you want to make good use of one of your free travel days.

One more tip: I would suggest to travel via Lucerne – Meiringen either the inbound or outbound trip. It takes a bit longer but it’s a scenic route and a large part of it is discounted with your Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 4:05:24 #835377

Hi

We (2 adults) and 2 children (5 and 7 years) are visiting Switzerland and will be stating in Interlaken for 4 days (3rd to 8th of May). Our itinerary is similar to the original poster.

We are flying in and back from Zurich. I too would like some advise on which would be the best pass to buy.

Thanks in advance

DD

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 5:43:13 #835378

Hi …am interested in Travel Bug 1 enquiry re proposed itinery [that a Bernese Oberland pass was suggested] I am wondering,after viewing the 2 options for a days sightseeing by train, if using a Swiss Pass ,would free travel on the 2 suggested day trips also apply?:-)

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 March 2012 at 6:10:00 #835379

Hi DD,

As you will be there in May I’m quite sure you should look at the 2 for 1 offer of the Swiss (Saver) Pass or the 2 for 1 offer of the Swiss (Saver) Flexi Pass. I guess you will be traveling during 6 days. The offers give you 4 days of free traveling. All details can be found following the links, including a PDF-overview of the network on which these Passes are valid.

These offers can only be purchased online. Your children will travel for free with the STS Family Card, which can be ordered for free at the same time.
    Although the Swiss Flexi Pass is a bit more expensive, you will have the opportunity to choose when (which of 4 out of 6 days) you want a free traveling day. A disadvantage could be though that the period of validity starts with the first, and ends after the last day of free traveling. I can’t help you decide between the two offers.

The Timetable wil be helpful for your planning and for finding the regular prices of your trips.

Enjoy your stay!

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 March 2012 at 11:34:16 #835380

Hi mbear12,

Part of it will be for free, and part will be discounted. For all details, you can best download the network map from the Swiss Pass page.
    [quote]mbear12 said: Hi …am interested in Travel Bug 1 enquiry re proposed itinery [that a Bernese Oberland pass was suggested] I am wondering,after viewing the 2 options for a days sightseeing by train, if using a Swiss Pass ,would free travel on the 2 suggested day trips also apply?:-)[/quote]

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 March 2012 at 12:53:39 #835381

[quote]mbear12 said: Hi …am interested in Travel Bug 1 enquiry re proposed itinery [that a Bernese Oberland pass was suggested] I am wondering,after viewing the 2 options for a days sightseeing by train, if using a Swiss Pass ,would free travel on the 2 suggested day trips also apply?:-)[/quote]

Hi mbear12,

(Partly in addition to the answer you already got): The way to figure out which legs of the example day trips are for free with a Swiss Pass, is to look at the overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid. The link to this PDF-file can be found on the Swiss Pass page.

For me it works to divide the Swiss Transportation System into two categories: 1. the normal transportation system (trains, boats, busses) and 2. the mountain transportation system (cable cars, gondolas, funiculars, mountain trains, etc.).
    In general you can say that with your Swiss Pass (or free and non-free days of your Swiss Flexi Pass) you will get a 50% discount on most means of mountain transportation.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Zurich to Interlaken short break’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.