Rail pass from Zurich to Wengen for 4.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2015 at 18:12:45 #807578

While I have read lots about the rail system and best rates, I am still struggling about what to do.We are a family of 4 going to Switzerland. We arrive from Athens on August 4 to Zurich and plan to take the train to Wengen- we will be in Wengen 3 nights and 2 full days. We plan to do some hiking and exploring so probably would use the gondola/funicular. Not sure about the train to Jungfrau. We will then return to Zurich on August 7 as we fly out on the 8th. Any thoughts on best plan for rail system? My girls are teens (15 and 18) – would the rail folks ask for identification?

What a wonderful website! Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 July 2015 at 10:59:18 #844560

Hello Elizabeth!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi will suit your needs. It allows a free ride from Zurich Airport to Wengen and back again, plus a 50% discount on the trips you want to make during your stay. You’ll need three of them for the adults and your 18 year old daughter. The 15 year old travels along for free if you order the Swiss Family Card along with your Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi passes. Yes, the rail staff may ask for identification, so it’s important that passport information matches the rail passes you’re using.

Does this help you decide?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2015 at 22:20:23 #844561

Hi-

Yes, this helps me decide. Thank you. Should I purchase it in advance or can I get it at the station in Zurich? I want to get the discount!

Thanks again!

Arno
    15481 posts
    20 July 2015 at 14:22:57 #844562

Hi Eskid,

This pass needs to be purchased in advance; it’s not available in Switzerland.

You can get the discount if you purchase through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-transfer-ticket-half-fare and use the coupon code as explained on http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals/great-deals-to-tour-Europe. Mind the 8 day shipping time please. They can ship to the US or Greece, whatever is convenient for you.

We found yesterday that one cannot order along the Swiss Family Card with this specific pass. But you can get a free Swiss Family Card at any staffed Swiss rail station upon showing your pass and passport.

Enjoy your stay and your travels!

• The thread ‘Rail pass from Zurich to Wengen for 4.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.