Rail pass help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2012 at 4:23:00 #805543

Hello! We (2 adults and a 13 yr old) will be in Switzerland 8/21-31. Our plan is to fly into Zurich and out of Geneva.
    day 1 – Zurich to Lucerne

day 2, 3 – Lucerne – maybe go see Rigi or Titlis

day 4 – travel to Wengen -go see Jungfraujoch

day 5 – wengen – go see Schiltern

day 6 – travel to Montreux

day 7 – Montreux – go see Gruyeres and chocolate factory

day 8 – Montreux

day 9 – travel to Geneva

day 10 – Geneva

day 11 – leave for home

Question 1 – So do you recommend the half fare card for all the connections? If so, do I buy it when I arrive in Zurich?

Question 2 – From Wengen to Montreux, do I take the Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Montruex? Do I need to buy the

tickets now and make seat reservation? Is the Golden Pass the recommended train to take, or is there regular

trains as well?

Question 3 – Do I buy each train ticket just before I get on the train, or should I get it in advance?

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 August 2012 at 8:02:34 #836956

Welcome to the forum c1628. The Swiss Half Fare Card looks like a good option. Specifics and purchase options can be found at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. You don’t need seat reservations for most trains and it’s best to buy each discounted ticket just before you board the train or bus.

The Golden Pass Line is the most scenic route to Montreux indeed. It’s best to make seat reservations online in advance. You don’t have to buy your discounted tickets yet; you can do so before boarding the train, as long as you’ve arranged for your reservations. Make sure that you buy a ticket via Zweisimmen and Gstaad (otherwise you may end up with a ticket that covers another, more direct route).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2012 at 4:58:41 #836957

Annika, thanks for your reply.
    Now I’m thinking of taking the panoramic train to Montreux. I will be coming from the Jungfrau area, depending on what we get to do that last day there. What is the best way to get on the panoramic train from around there? What is the latest time to get on that train so that it’s still bright enough the whole trip to make it worthwhile? If not the panoramic train, which is the most scenic route to get to Montreux? And if I get the half fare card, is the panoramic train half price as well?

Thanks so much!

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 August 2012 at 11:24:03 #836958

Hello c1628! You can board the Golden Pass in Interlaken or Spiez. Connections can be found in the regular timetable and at the Golden Pass website. If you make sure you arrive in the late afternoon or early evening, there will still be enough light along the route. Your Swiss Half Fare Card is valid indeed (apart from the additional seat reservation fee).

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 August 2012 at 11:42:43 #836959

Hi again! I just saw that you posted pretty much the same questions in a new topic. Creating a new topic for new questions is fine, but in order to prevent duplicate questions (from the same forum visitor) I’ll remove that one. This is also mentioned in our forum rules.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2012 at 5:49:24 #836960

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for your reply. I posted the new topic because for some reason when I tried to open this one particular post 2 days ago after I replied on aug 13, it showed the message something about it is not working and please try later – which remained the same as of yesterday. Apparently it is working now- sorry for the trouble.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2012 at 2:23:09 #836961

Never mind c1628. I didn’t know you experienced that problem. I’m glad it all works now.

• The thread ‘Rail pass help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.