Which rail pass is best when most of trip by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 18:57:05 #812740

Hi! I am going to be in Switzerland for 6 days. I am renting a car and will be in Zurich, Interlaken, Zermatt and Lucerne. I will only be taking the cogwheel train for Jungfreauch, a train to go to Matterhorn and a train from Tasch station to Zermatt. I might go on a boat on Lake Thun. Other than that I will probably not use public transportation. Are any of the rail passes worth it for what I have mentioned ? If so which one? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 7:35:40 #867366

Hi NPAT12 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would probably look at the Swiss Half Fare Card. Once bought, the Swiss Half Fare Card gets you 50% off all trains, boats, buses etc in Switzerland. In order to be sure it is worth the price, you should read our page about choosing the best rail pass and compare prices using the Excel sheet we offer, with and without the Swiss Half Fare Card plus the cost of the card itself.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 12:52:39 #867367

Thank you! My question is do I have to buy that pass ahead of time or can I wait till I reach interlaken? If I wait do I buy it from the station?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 16:53:22 #867368

You can buy either rail pass online (use my links above) or at any staffed rail station.

The advantage of buying online is you can get the pass emailed to you and printed out to use before you leave home (no waiting in line-ups and you get an electronic back-up copy).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 19:11:29 #867369

Thank you! the reason i want to wait, is because I do not know if the swiss half fare will be worth it because from what I read it does not apply to Jungfreauch or Matterhorn and without that I will only be taking the train once? Unless it helps with those entrance fees and some of the boat tours around Switzerland? I dont take I will make it to any of the mountains. What do you think

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 July 2017 at 23:08:39 #867370

Hi Npat12,

You get 50% off those tickets. See validity map at myswissalps-doc.r.worldssl.net/doc s/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=34

Be sure to read the legend at right hand of page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 8:01:29 #867371

Hi NPAT12,

Yes, be sure to read open the PDF and read through the list of attractions that are partially covered by the Swiss Half Fare Card here, and the Swiss Travel Pass here.

The Swiss Half Fare Card gets your 50% off all trips (boats, trains, cable cars) in Switzerland. You can’t go up the Matterhorn itself but there are two trips in Zermatt noted here, that get you excellent views).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which rail pass is best when most of trip by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.