Best rail pass for Zurich & Lucerne area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 15:02:36 #813050

Greetings and thank you in advance for any insights. I have looked through the Forum and still am a little confused on the best rail passes to purchase for our 5 days in Switzerland. We arrive in Zurich and want to take the train to Lucerne and while there visit many of the local sights: Mt. Pilatus, Lucerne Old Town, Lake Lucerne on Steamboat ride, with stops at some of the towns where the glass factory is and perhaps the Swiss Knife factory. We may also weather permitting visit Mt. Titlisk and/or Interlaken. I’ve looked at Swiss Rail Pass, which seems too expensive for this restricted area. I’ve also looked into the Half-Fare Pass and the Tell Pass. Seems to me the Tell pass would cover a lot in the Lucerne area (transportation and discounts on certain sites) but would require us to purchase full fare tickets to/from Zurich.

Our schedule is September 25 – 30 so the Tell Pass period would cover this period

Could I please have your insights.

Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 16:12:13 #868832

Hi jjmurph01 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I agree the Tell Pass-summer would be a good choice for you (except for Interlaken and Zurich). Though those two trains trips aren’t overly expensive.

The other option would be the Swiss Half Fare Card – then you know you get 50% off all trips you decide to make while in the country.

You can read through our page on How to choose the best rail pass for help on doing the math to compare the two rail passes (the only way to know for sure).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for Zurich & Lucerne area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.