Rail passes for Lauterbrunnen and Lausanne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 11:13:30 #810117

Hi, I am planning a 6 days trip in the Lauterbrunnen area and another 4 days near Lausanne. I was thinking of getting a Bernese Pass for 4 days and another Swiss pass to use at Lausanne. All advice will be deeply appreciated. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 September 2016 at 12:08:50 #856042

Welcome to MySwissAlps Europefirst!

There are various combinations:

Which one is best depends on your exact plans (incoming/outgoing trips, day trips) and when you travel (the Regional-Pass is not available in winter). Please see the above links, pay special attention to the coverage maps on those pages, and also the How to compare passes page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2016 at 13:10:12 #856043

Hi Arno,Thanks for the information. I think I will buy the 4 days Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and have unlimited train rides for 4 days around Grindelwald, Harder Kulm, Wengen , Kleine Scheidegg and areas around there. And get a 4 days Swiss Travel Pass for Lausanne to St. Gallen to Chur. I can also use it to go to Zermatt. Am I right? Thanks a lot.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 September 2016 at 13:39:33 #856044

Hi Europefirst,

Sure, the Swiss Travel Pass gets you free rides to Zermatt as well, please see the map. Be sure to compare both passes carefully and do the math. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass only costs CHF 112 more than 4 days. I’m not sure if the Regional-Pass would be worth it as it costs more than double that amount: CHF 240. The Swiss Travel Pass also covers quite a lot in the Jungfrau region (Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald and even Schynige Platte are free), but obviously not as much as the Regional-Pass. You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home, please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2016 at 14:40:28 #856045

Hi Arno,

Thanks a lot for the information. Yes, I will buy the 8 days Swiss Travel Pass. It is much cheaper. In areas which are not covered, I can get tickets at discounted price. This is superb. Thank you for your guidance.

• The thread ‘Rail passes for Lauterbrunnen and Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.