Rail passes restricted to citizenship or residency

• Seemi1
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 January 2017 at 1:18:09 #810622

Hello, I am looking at different rail passes for Europe and it says if you live in Europe this one is suitable, if you don’t live in Europe the other one. My question is whether this is citizenship or residency? I am a British citizen but living in UAE for past 3 years and will be travelling from UAE. Which pass is suitable for me?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 January 2017 at 12:37:06 #858244

Hi Seemi1,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! It’s about citizenship (the country in your passport). If you have a British passport you can use Interrail passes, but no Eurail passes. If you have a UAE passport you qualify for Eurail, not Interrail. If you have both nationalities you can choose either. You can find those passes here.

Note that passes for Switzerland are available for everyone except citizens of Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

Seemi1
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 January 2017 at 14:43:52 #858245

Thank you so much for your reply. I don’t have UAE nationality, only British so I guess I will be using Interrail pass. Many thanks

• The thread ‘Rail passes restricted to citizenship or residency’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.