Feb 8, 2016 - 5:45 AM
Now that travel and accommodation have been booked, I have gone through the details of various rails passes, used the spread sheet provided on this site for cost comparison and have drawn some conclusions. Need your help to make sure I have got this right.
Using a 15-day (CHF440) + 3-day (CHF210) Swiss Travel Pass per person (2 of us) to cover all 18 days is not turning out to be economical. So now I am looking at Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Half Fare Card Combi (Swiss Travel Pass Flex + Swiss Half Fare).
I am thinking of getting 8-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex along with 50% discounted Swill Half Fare Card (Combi). I have identified 8 costliest travel days below for the 8-day Travel Pass and for all other days in between plan to use the Swss Half Fare Card. Is this understanding correct on how to use the Combi Card?
- Day 1: NO CARD: Zurich Airport to Zucich HB and local travel
- Day 2: PASS FLEX (Day 1) -- Zurich to Lucerne
- Day 3: PASS FLEX (Day 2) -- Rigi
- Day 4: HALF FARE -- Mt Pilatus
- Day 5: HALF FARE -- Mt Titlis
- Day 6: HALF FARE -- Wengen to Interlaken
- Day 7: HALF FARE -- Jungfraujoch
- Day 8: PASS FLEX (Day 3) -- First
- Day 9: HALF FARE -- Schilthorn
- Day 10: HALF FARE: -- Männlichen
- Day 11: PASS FLEX (Day 4) -- Wengen to Zermatt
- Day 12: PASS FLEX (Day 5) -- Bettmerhorn
- Day 13: HALF FARE -- Gornergrat
- Day 14: HALF FARE -- Klein Matterhorn
- Day 15: PASS FLEX (Day 6) -- Zermatt to Montreux (+local sightseeing) to Lausanne
- Day 16: PASS FLEX (Day 7) -- Gruyers and Broc
- Day 17: HALF FARE -- Geneva
- Day 18: PASS FLEX (Day 8) -- Lausanne to Montreux to Lucerne (Golden Pass) to Zurich (upgrade to First class on one leg)
- Day 19: NO CARD -- Zurich Airport Shuttle from Hotel
Basically wherever the PASS FLEX does not offer 100% discounts, use HALF FARE card. Should I also look at combination of REGIONAL PASSES with 8-day SWISS TRAVEL PASS FLEX? Do the regional passes work same as these? Not sure how time consuming it is to buy tickets on the half-fare days.
Is it advisable to buy these ahead of time (and pay extra for shipping) even though we don't need it on Day 1? Any other combination/pass options I haven't considered?