Rail passes – not sure which one fits?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2010 at 9:42:26 #803771

Hi,

I plan to be in Switzerland for 7 days in June. I need some help in deciding what pass fits best. I am traveling with my wife so I was thinking of using the Swiss Flexi Pass since we will be traveling by train only for limited duration – Zurich to Interlaken, Interlaken to Zermatt and then the glacier express to St. moritz and back to Zurich. I would like some advise whether the Flexi pass with 4 days of unlimited would be a good idea or should I go for a Half-fare card, or a full Swiss pass.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Vivs

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    13 April 2010 at 13:16:05 #831091

Hello Vivs,

The tickets for the trips you mentioned would cost the following amount (2nd class and per person) if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card:

• Zürich Airport – Interlaken Ost: CHF 33.50
    • Interlaken Ost – Zermatt: CHF 37.00
    • Zermatt – St. Moritz: CHF 67.00
    • St. Moritz – Zürich Airport: CHF 35.50

These prices can be found in the online timetable. The Swiss Half Fare Card itself costs CHF 99.00 per person, so you would pay CHF 272.00 per person in total.

These trips are for free with a 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, which costs CHF 257.00 per person. So in all, this is the best option for your travel plans. It’s also the most convenient option, as you don’t have to buy separate tickets for your train trips.

A full 8 day Swiss Saver Pass would cost CHF 320.00 per person, so this is not an economical option in your case.

Please feel free to post any other questions. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2010 at 16:45:16 #831092

Thanks! That is so helpful!

• The thread ‘Rail passes – not sure which one fits?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.