Rail reservations–How and when to make them?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2010 at 18:02:58 #804068

Thanks to this site, we purchased at $100 discount a Swiss Saver FlexiPass for 3 days’ 1st class rail travel for 5 adults: Zurich to Zermatt March 22, 2011, Zermatt to St. Moritz April 1 on GE, and St. Moritz to Zurich April 2. Some rail schedules are visible online and sometimes an error message says nothing can be done until 60 days before travel. How do we make the necessary reservations? We arrive in Zurich at different times from different places. Will it be possible to make our reservation for Zermatt in Zurich once we’re all together or must it be done in advance? What about Glacier Express? There’s a 10AM train and possibly you can buy a full ticket now, but we only need reservations before seats are gone. I made a reservation request for GE seats in October but there was no confirmation. St. Moritz via Chur to Zurich also requires a reservation; when can we confirm our seats? Lastly, Best Western at Zurich Airport promises a 10% discount for Swiss Pass holders but they do not reply to email, and the discount is only available by pre-arrangement. Do we have the wrong email ([email protected])? With thanks for your advice —

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    13 December 2010 at 0:17:56 #832029

Hi NM Skier,

I’m glad our website helped you to get the pass. You have planned a beautiful journey!

Seat reservations are not necessary for most trains. Please read all about it on the seat reservation page. You probably don’t travel on any special/panoramic trains other than the Glacier Express, so that would be the only train to book seats for. You can find links to do so on the page I mentioned. It is indeed common for seat reservations to be made 2 (sometimes 3) months in advance.

Regarding the hotel: I found [email protected] for the hotel located at Oberhauserstrasse 30 in Glattbrugg. You may want to call the hotel if you don’t get a reply. Also, you could check the rates you get through this page. It may be better or similar to the standard rates combined with the Swiss Pass discount.

Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Rail reservations–How and when to make them?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.