Rail travel pass – help please!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2010 at 12:01:04 #803901

What a fantastic site this is! I will be spending hours reading all the useful tips before our holiday in August. We are returning to the Bernese Oberland 20 years after our last visit and we are taking our 2 sons aged 17 and 19 (yes, they do still want to come with Mum and Dad – they chose Switzerland!).
    My first query (I am sure there will be many more before we leave) is about the rail passes.
    We will arrive at Zurich Airport on 7.8.10 and return a week later. We want to travel by train to Grindelwald. Then we would like to use lots of the cablecars, trains etc in the region including the boat trips.
    Which rail pass would you recommend? Do we order it online before we leave? Do you think there will be any reductions for the boys – 1 in 6th form, 1 at uni?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Janet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    11 July 2010 at 6:39:30 #831519

Hello Janet,

I think you might best look into the possibilities and prices of (and please note that the given prices are per person and second class)

the Swiss Card
    the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland
    the Jungfrau Railways Pass

Advantage of the Swiss card is that you will save CHF 154,40 on your first and last trips from and to Zürich Airport. In between you will travel for half fare almost anywhere.

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland will give you 3 days of free travelling (on a 7-day pass) or 5 days of free travelling (on a 15-day pass). Two extra days of free travelling might be worth the rather small price difference between an 7-day and a 25 day pass. Advantage of this pass over the Jungfrau Railways Pass is that it covers a larger area (the Bernese Oberland instead of the Jungfrau region).
    You can combine this Pass with the Swiss Transfer Ticket which will cost CHF 127, instead of the regular CHF 154,40 on your way from and to Zürich Airport, with this ticket you will get a 20% discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

Information about planning trips and prices can be found here.

Just want to give you some extra information about hiking tips for the Bernese Oberland and day trips as well. And of course the tips about hiking and safety. Consider it an extra service from a Switzerland lover ;-)!

It is good to know that you can purchase a time table covering all kinds of transportation in the Bernese Oberland. This booklet is sold at e.g. train stations for about CHF 2.50 and sometimes it’s for free.

If you choose a Swiss Card or a Swiss Transfer Ticket ordering online might be useful. The Ticket counter of the SBB railway station at Zürich Airport has limited opening hours, information can be found here.

I am quite sure neither of your sons can get any reduction on the Passes I have mentioned here.

Maybe viewing this topic may be of help too.

I hope this helps and I wish you a very pleasant stay in beautiful Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Rail travel pass – help please!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.