raileurope australia totally unhelpful

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    4 September 2016 at 15:02:56 #855614

1. If you have the Swiss travel pass, how much is it to reserve the bus from Lugano to Tirana per adult? Is it cheaper because of the pass or is it free?

I am having trouble doing this…..

2. Is it worth doing the Bernini express from Tirana to Pontresina or just take the local train?

The following day we intend to go further north…

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 September 2016 at 15:56:26 #855615

Hi Mirike123,

1. You only need to pay the CHF 14 reservation fee. The ride itself is free with your pass. Please provide a bit more information about your issue. Like where you book and if there are error messages. Be sure to enter the various names correctly when looking for tickets and information. It’s Tirano, not Tirana. And it’s Bernina Express, not Bernini Express.

2. The scenery is the same, but it’s up to you if you value a slightly more luxurious train. I would take the “official” train if the schedule would fit my plans logistically. Otherwise any train is fine.

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 11:03:09 #855616

I prefer NOT to book through Rail Europe Australia as they give shocking service. Why is it so hard to book a seat on the BerninaExpress Bus from Lugano to Tiran0 on sun 11th September.

What websites please? If I do in fact want to continue on Bernini EXPRESS BEX just to Pontresina, is it the same price to reserve the seat as it would be all the way to Chur? I have the Swiss travel pass already. I am concerned that I will miss out and it’s just not simple…

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 September 2016 at 11:27:54 #855617

Hi Mirike123,

The reservation link is listed under “More on other websites” on myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress/ tickets. I’m not sure what the problem is on your end. I was able to book it just fine yesterday (well, I didn’t actually pay so didn’t complete it). Please provide more information if you keep having issues. Reservation prices are fixed for each leg, so you pay the same to Pontresina or Chur.

Did it work for you now?

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 12:19:28 #855618

No it did not work. It said no connection…but I don’t need a connection…I would like the bus from Lugano to Tirano. I am so busy, leaving Sydney tomorrow and this is totally frustrating. I basically wish to go from Lugano by bus and then to Pontresina all on same day. I have tried booking separately …no luck…then together and the luxury train does not appear on list. Please tell me what is going wrong. Have they sold all the tickets for the bus. is there only one bus all day on the 11th?

Pls help

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 12:31:39 #855619

I had better luck this time BUT There is no BEX on page anywhere. Yes there is a train, but it is saying no reservations required.Obviously it’s a normal train.

How do i know the bus is the correct one? is there only one bus that leaves at 10 or is it 9.56 a.m

Even that is confusing. Does the bus leave from the train station, a bus station or somewhere else? I have noted that others have also been confused.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 September 2016 at 13:19:33 #855620

The bus departs 9:56 from the bus stop at the train station. Are you using the link I mentioned? Please attach a screenshot so I can hopefully see what’s wrong.

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 13:26:40 #855621

Yes the link you mentioned, but is the word BUS, an ordinary bus or the special one? Why do I not see BEX anywhere?

I have had no issues booking glacier express reservations from St Moritz to Zermatt. Easy…

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 13:37:37 #855622

Ok, managed to get through. there is only 1 seat on the bus, right at the back and I am travelling with my husband. Is there only 1 bus a day? Should I book 1 seat with the hope someone cancels? what shall I do? I have missed out because of website issues…I am so annoyed as my hotel booking is non refundable and I really wanted to catch this bus….

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 September 2016 at 13:39:01 #855623

If you click through to the details you can see it’s the Bernina Express bus. But, there’s only one bus to Tirano so you can’t book the wrong one. It’s all going to be fine unless it’s actually fully booked.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 September 2016 at 14:14:26 #855624

Hi Mirike123-

<<Why do I not see BEX anywhere? “>>

Perhaps the designers of the timetable chose not to use that acronym?

Slowpoke

Mirike123
    Participant
    17 posts
    5 September 2016 at 14:22:58 #855625

I am totally upset as there is only one seat left on the bus on the 11th September. How do I get to Pontresina now with a swiss travel pass? Obviously it cannot be used in Italy. the fact that BEX was not used in the timetable confused me and now i have missed out. Are you certain there is only 1 bus in September? what are your suggestions for me? what are the chances of cancellations?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 September 2016 at 16:56:00 #855626

Hi Mirike123,

No worries, there are other ways to reach Pontresina as well. Remember that most of the trains and buses in Switzerland are simply public transport and people travel spontaneously without any advanced planning or booking. This particular bus happens to be on a scenic route for tourists, and it only operates once per day, hence the need to book seats. These routes are popular so booking late is risky, but people may cancel.

You can visit any staffed station as soon as you reach Switzerland and see whether they have seats available. If not, you can travel via Milan. You will have to pay for the Chiasso to Tirano leg, but tickets start at only € 14, so that’s not much different from the bus reservation costs. From there you can take a train across the Bernina pass to Pontresina for free with your Swiss Travel Pass.

Another option is to travel via Göschenen – Andermatt – Chur, which includes part of the Glacier Express route and the northern section of the Bernina Express route. That might duplicate with your other travel plans though. Other options include buses from Bellinzona to Thusis and the bus from Lugano to St. Moritz (Palm Express). These are free too, but again you would need a reservation. Anyway, there are many options, just check the timetable. Since you almost depart I would simply choose while in Switzerland and arrange for seat reservations, if needed, there.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘raileurope australia totally unhelpful’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.