RE: Montreux to Lausanne Cruise Ride

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 9:16:44 #807061

Dear Arno / Annika,

Is there any cruise links Montreux to Lausanne? I will be in Montreux on 5/5/2015. May I know how to check the time table? Thanks.

Regards,

Aodreen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2015 at 2:23:13 #842385

<<“Is there any cruise links Montreux to Lausanne? I will be in Montreux on 5/5/2015. May I know how to check the time table? Thanks.”>>

Those cities are very close to one another. There is frequent train service – 3 or 4 times per hour. Takes 21 to 32 minutes, depending on the number of intermediate stops.

Lake boats also make the trip much less frequently. The boats stop at Ouchy (the port for Lausanne) , I believe. A few per day at that time of year.

I had to look at my paper timetable, because I could not make the on-line site work for me. It does cover boats an buses, so give it a try. It should give you the information , at :

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2015 at 6:17:57 #842386

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for your sharing. As i will be coming from Lauterbrunnen with train (abt 3 hrs journey) to Montreux with my luggage. So, thinking if can take cruise from Montreux to Lausanne and check in hostel in Lausanne later. So, we can enjoy the scenery of Montreux. But, I couldn’t get the boat timetable for this route. How long will it takes to reach Lausanne from Montreux by boat? Thanks.

Regards,

Aodreen

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 April 2015 at 9:47:06 #842387

Hi Aodreen,

Details can be found on the Lake Geneva page. The link under ‘more on other websites’ takes you to the timetable. The boats are included in the national timetable as well, but that one will first suggest the quickest mode of transport (train), so you’d have to do an advanced search to just see the boat options.

The 1:45 PM boat from Montreux may suit your plans. It arrives in Lausanne at 3:20 PM. The quay is just 200 m from the Montreux rail station (see the map on the above linked page).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2015 at 9:51:09 #842388

<<” But, I couldn’t get the boat timetable for this route. How long will it takes to reach Lausanne from Montreux by boat? Thanks.”>>

I’m looking at my paper time table for route 3150, Lausanne -Ouchy- Geneva. Some stop at Montreux.

Oddly, I don’t find many that make that particular connection. This seems strange to me.

There is on at 1340, which makes ten stops! Arrives Lausanne-Ouchy at 1520. This is really odd. I can find several that go the other direction, every few hours.

I’m clearly missing something.

I’ll have to take another look tomorrow when I have some more time.

BTW, IIRC, the train station at Montreux is a bit above the lake, but the boat dock looks pretty close. Heavy bags?

Take a look on :

map.classic.search.ch

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2015 at 10:14:10 #842389

<<“. As i will be coming from Lauterbrunnen with train (abt 3 hrs journey) to Montreux ..”>>

Forgot to mention that the last stretch of the ride, down through the vineyards above Montreux, is one of my favorite views of Switzerland. Either side of the train gives good views, since there are switchbacks.

The boat ride on the lake will also be beautiful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2015 at 14:58:02 #842390

Thanks arno n slowpoke. 🙂

• The thread ‘RE: Montreux to Lausanne Cruise Ride’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.