Reaching Rhinefalls and is euro rail worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 2:34:43 #808377

Hello to all, I am buying 2 country euro rail pass for France and Switzerland.

I am traveling on the black forest line which goes from Offenburg to Donaueschingen with Konus card and would like to travel, if possible using the 2 country eurorail pass. I would be taking the train from the end of the Black Forest line to Schaffhausen. My hotel is in Schaffhausen. I have read that the euro rails are not worth it so I did the math (hopefully I did it correct) and there is not much difference on what I would be paying even if I buy the tickets in advanced. the advantage would be that I don’t have to be “stuck” with a specific time, you know…peace of mind. Below is my “analysis” (there is two of us) Plz let me know what you think.

• 30 euros (33.60 USD) Paris to Colmar (if I buy now for my trip in May)
    • 10 (11.19 USD) Colmar to Strasbourg
    • 12.60 (14.11 USD) Strasbourg to Haslach
    • 16 (17.91 USD) Donaueschinge to Schaffhausen
    • 29 (32.46 USD)This price would cover from Schaffhause to Zuric to Chur and BEX to Tirano (over a two day period)
    • 22 CHF (22.14 USD) Tirano to Lugano
    • 45 CHF (45.29 USD) Lugano to Domodossola
    • 16 CHF (16.10 USD) Domodossola to Brig
    • 19.50 (19.63 USD) Brig to Spiez via Kandersteg
    • 29.60 (29.79 USD) Spiez to Murren
    • 78.60 (79.11 USD) Murren to Basel
    • 40 (44.81 USD) Basel to Paris

Total 366.14 USD pp

with Eurorail for 6 days is 309 USD for 8 days is 360 USD pp

Thank you

Kat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 15:11:54 #848211

<<“45 CHF (45.29 USD) Lugano to Domodossola 16 CHF (16.10 USD) Domodossola to Brig19.50 (19.63 USD) Brig to Spiez via Kandersteg”>>

Hi Kat-

I can’t cpmment on the costs, other than that the Schaffhausen to BEX to Tirano seems cheap.

Arno or Annika are the experts on rail costs.

I compliment you on choosing to use the Lötscberger via Kandersteg. Sit on the left, at least up the wall of the Rhonetal to Goppenstein. After that, both sides are good.

After leaving Lugano, are you using the Centovalli line from Locarno to Domodossola?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 February 2016 at 16:09:47 #848212

Hi Kat,

You may have taken half fares in some cases. E.g. Brig to Spiez is CHF 37. And prices for Basel to Paris vary by the date and time, and are cheaper if you book early. Please see here.

I’m not sure I completely understand your travel plans. How many day will you travel in Switzerland? Which two country Eurail Pass are you considering? Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you have a rail pass for Germany, and only need one single ride in France, the majority of your trip will be in Switzerland, and possibly a short leg in Italy.

This page will help you do the math. There’s a spreadsheet too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 17:00:15 #848213

Hi Kat-

I share Arno’s confusion. You mention France, but I see Germany. 😉

Perhaps you could list a day by day itinerary, or else at least how many days in each country.

If most of your travel is in Switzerland, perhaps a Swiss Travel discount card or pass of some sort would make sense. Arno sent you to that link.

Please note that when you use the Swiss timetable, all fares are given (for main line rail travel) assuming that you have a half-fare discount, since almost all Swiss have such.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 23:12:44 #848214

Hi Arno and Slowpoke,

My itinerary is as follows – Month of May:

• Arrive Paris – Monday
    • Monday.After arrival take train to Colmar.
    • Tuesday. Colmar
    • Wednesday. Gengenbach.
    • Thursday. Rhine Falls
    • Friday. Zurich.
    • Saturday. Locarno (via BEX)
    • Sunday. Murren.
    • Monday. Murren.
    • Tuesday. Paris.
    • Wednesday. Paris.
    • Thursday. Fly home.

I would buy the France-Switzerland EuroRail. Most of Germany will be covered on the KONUS card.The speed train from Paris to Colmar and from Basel to Paris can be expensive if I don’t buy them now. I rather not buy them now because I don’t want to be restricted on a specific train/time.The Bernina fare seems low because I am doing the math as if I were to buy the ticket from Germany to Tirano (see website of man on seat 61 or in one of my previous posts.)

Thank you and please let me know what you guys think!

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2016 at 12:08:12 #848215

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, I remember you had a special ticket for the Bernina Express. I’m not sure if you need that ticket at all if you will buy a Eurail Select Pass for France and Switzerland: there’s a promotion that will get you a extra day of free traveling. Please see myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/ free-extra-travel-days-on-eurail-select-global and myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ promotions.

Indeed you would only need seat reservations for the trains in France if you buy that pass. I understand your wish to be flexible. Just do take into account that trains can be fully booked if you try to get last minute reservations, so theoretically you could be forced to take a later or earlier train.

Also be sure to carefully study this page: myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 16:35:03 #848216

Hi Arno,

looking at the itinerary I posted you think the France- Switzerland eurorail is the best way to go?

Thank you!

Kat

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 February 2016 at 8:26:50 #848217

Hi Kat,

It seems to be a good match given your requirements, but only you know the details of your trip (like cable cars you’d like to use). That’s why the last link I gave you is important. If coverage matches your plans, then it’s all fine. And the extra pass day might be very useful. Note that the pass name is Eurail!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2016 at 1:22:51 #848218

ok. Thank you much!!!!

• The thread ‘Reaching Rhinefalls and is euro rail worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.