Recomendations for Train travel – Zurich to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2012 at 23:29:16 #805374

Hello My Swiss Alps friends. We are a couple coming to Europe for the first time and will be arriving in Zurich around the 7th January 2013. We need to be in Milan by 11th January and wanted to know any suggestions. We would like to use train and see the alps and possibly stop overnight in a couple of nice places on our way. Thanks so much in advance and i look forward to chatting with you.

PS we are not into skiing just sight seeing and meeting people 🙂

Rod and Buck NSW – Australia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 June 2012 at 7:36:25 #836440

Hello Alaska01, and welcome to MySwissAlps! Great that you’re planning your first time Europe and Switzerland trip. I’m glad to help you out, but could you be a bit more specific on your wishes? Do you like towns, lakes or the mountains only? Do you want to travel a lot or keep traveling times limited each day? What region(s) in Switzerland do you prefer? You may want to browse this forum and the sections on the Bernese Oberland, Wallis and Graubünden for a first impression and to get an idea of what you’d like to do. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2012 at 3:02:18 #836441

Hi Annika,

We are not sure if we should fly into Zurich or Bern. We will have 2 nights to stay either Zurich or Bern and then get a train to Milan with an overnight stop at a nice town, then get the train the next day to Milan. We do enjoy just seeing the town and experience a bit of the life of the town. We will be traveling with suitcase so I don’t think we could travel to far on a one night stop. We would like to take the most scenic train route but it will be Winter so we may not see to much. Thank you for your reply. Rod

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 June 2012 at 13:36:41 #836442

Hello Rod! There are several scenic routes from Zurich/Bern to Milano. A few examples:

• Lucerne – Flüelen – Bellinzona – Lugano/Locarno – Milano. This is also known as the Wilhelm Tell Express, including a wonderful boat trip between Lucerne and Flüelen. You could plan an overnight stay in Lugano or, if you prefer a smaller village high up in the mountains, Andermatt;
    • Lucerne – Meiringen – Interlaken: the Golden Pass route. You could spend a night in or near Interlaken and make a spectacular side trip up in the mountains to Kleine Scheidegg or even the Jungfraujoch, if weather is clear. Continue your trip to Brig via Kandersteg and Goppenstein (the Lötschberg Regio Express) and then to Domodossola and Milano. If time allows, you could even make a further detour by including the romantic Centovalli line between Domodossola and Locarno, before heading to Milano.

The timetable will help you to make a planning. Please note that most larger railway station have lockers and/or baggage departments, allowing you to leave your suitcases and make trips without your luggage. Since you’ll be traveling large distances, I think it’s worth to consider buying one of the rail passes, such as a Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2012 at 17:50:23 #836443

Than You so much Annika, that is GREAT information. I will start looking at these now. Thank you again and i hope you have a happy day!!

Rod

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2012 at 23:27:27 #836444

Hi ANNIKA,
    I have taken the 2nd option ,but i would try the first one next month when I am there again.Switzerland is so beautiful and so are the people.It is always a new discovery when I go there every time.
    Regards
    NAND

• The thread ‘Recomendations for Train travel – Zurich to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.