Recommendation for hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2010 at 11:43:38 #804039

I would appreciate suggestions for an easy-moderate 5 day hike which would take me through small villages with guest house accommodations. Not looking for a home base from which I make day hikes and return. Prefer no more than 4-5 hours walking per day.
    Thank you for your assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 November 2010 at 4:22:57 #831928

Hi jsiwhz, and welcome to the forum. There are many multiple day hiking routes available throughout Switzerland. The website of Wanderland Schweiz lists lots of national, regional and local routes, including suggestions for overnight stays in small villages or mountain huts. A route of moderate difficulty is the Alpine Panorama Trail, which doesn’t actually lead over mountain passes, but crosses the pre-alpine meadows with views of the mountains. You may pick a section of this and hike for 4 to 5 days. The same goes for the famous Via Jacobi (Jacob’s trail), which passes along churches, chapels and monasteries. A more challenging route (and, in terms of nature, the most impressive one) is the Via Alpina, which includes actual mountain passes. In this case, too, you’d have to pick once specific section of the route for your hiking holiday. Of course you can pick a shorter regional route as well.

When picking the right trail, you should consider several factors. Your condition and hiking experience are very important in this decision. If you’re not that experienced, it would be wise to choose a non-alpine route. Please take the time of the year, in which you want to go hiking, in account as well. In spring, early summer and autumn higher sections of mountain routes may be covered in snow, which makes hiking impossible or at least dangerous. These preparation tips and the advice of Wanderland Schweiz may help you prepare as well.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck with your further planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2010 at 8:33:05 #831929

Excellent advice. Thank you very much

• The thread ‘Recommendation for hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.