Most scenic route Como to Interlaken in May/June?

Most scenic route Como to Interlaken in May/June?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Matthew
Matthew
4 posts
Feb 29, 2016 - 2:51 AM

Hello. My wife and I will (both 60) be in visiting Europe from Australia for the first time this May and June. We've negotiated our travel through Italy as far as Lake Como but would love some advice on the best (scenic) route from Como to Interlaken. We'll be travelling early June. If there have been many questions such as mine a link to that thread may simplify things and be much appreciated. I'm also thinking a Swiss Pass (3 or 4 days) may be wise as we'll be doing the Jungfrau region as well before heading onto France. Thank you in anticipation. Matt

sachdeveuro
sachdeveuro
14 posts
Feb 29, 2016 - 10:55 AM in reply to Matthew

hi ,

i would suggest a train/bus from como to lugano, and from there lugano - interlaken on the gotthard line.

i think this seems to be the best option in my opinion...

regards

pooja

Matthew
Matthew
4 posts
Feb 29, 2016 - 12:04 PM in reply to sachdeveuro

Hi pooja. Thank you for that. It's something I'd never have known about let alone considered. I'll look further into that one! Matt

Matthew
Matthew
4 posts
Feb 29, 2016 - 12:08 PM in reply to sachdeveuro

Hi sachdeveuro,

My apologies for earlier mistake re your name. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes it is just ignorance. I am guilty as charged but genuinely appreciate your reply either way. Matt

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Feb 29, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Pooja made a great suggestion. You can either do it all by train or train and boat combined. Another option is to take a train to Locarno and the Centovalli train to Domodossola, Italy. Then change to Brig. Then take the local train via Kandersteg to Spiez and finally change to Interlaken.

Both options are included in the Swiss Travel Pass, except for the short leg from Como to Chiasso (Swiss border). Some trains on the Centovalli line require a small surcharge.

You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home by browsing to www.swissrailways.com/ en and choosing "Online Ticket" when asked for delivery options. Further purchase options are listed here.

Matthew
Matthew
4 posts
Feb 29, 2016 - 9:10 PM in reply to Annika

Thank you Annika for your tips. I'll look further into your suggestions and see what I can find following your links. I'm lucky to have found your website Annika. It is a great help for us on our travels. Matt

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016