Recommendations for restaurants in Thun and Luzern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2016 at 2:21:43 #810286

I’m looking for recommendations for non-expensive restaurants with good Swiss food or any other cuisines in Thun and Luzern. Please suggest any!

I definitely want to try raclette and cheese fondue. I’m open to all suggestions of foods to order.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 October 2016 at 9:41:42 #856785

Hi chachacha,

In general good food comes at a cost, but on the other hand really bad food is rare in Switzerland. I’m mostly happy with mid range restaurants, but I don’t know enough of them to recommend specific ones. These pages might be helpful:

I can recommend having lunch or dinner on the lake boats. Not so much for the extraordinary food but for the food and view combination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2016 at 23:22:17 #856786

Hi chachacha, Arno provided you good listing of restaurants in Lucerne. You have the best restaurants in the train station itself , if you go downstairs by taking the escalators, there are lots of fast food bakery type stores, the sandwitches , pasta, pizza are not expensive and very fresh and tasty too. There is one in the upstairs in the station called tibits, our favourite restaurant, it goes by weight, they got lots of options to choose from like a buffette. Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 October 2016 at 8:26:40 #856787

Hi Chachacha –

For small and varied meals, including lots of take-away, the Migros and Coop st0re chains often have restaurants at their larger locations and grocery stores as well as substantial buffets. For example, there is an extensive selection at the Coop store across the street from Zürich main station, near the river and the Bahnhofbrücke:

map.search.ch/?poi_id=72a80da0b07c086 8-tel&z=2048

I often use their restaurants for a sit-down meal when traveling around Switzerland; many are near the main stations.

In Luzern, a walk around the old town on either side of the river will reveal plenty of restaurants that offer Swiss cheese dishes. I don’t recall in the small cafes in Luzern main station offer such food. Raclette and fondue, although popular winter dishes all throughout Switzerland, are associated withe the French speaking regions, such as the Canton Valais, so a restaurant with the name “Valaisanne” in the name is often a good bet.

When in doubt about anything in Luzern, I stop at Tourist Information by track #1 and ask. I find them quite helpful, and knowledgeable.

For years, in Luzern, I have used the Restaurant Rathaus Brauerei, along the quai near the old town hall. They have had a range of foods, from simple to complex, of good quality and (for a Swiss tourist center such as Luzern), reasonable prices. They changed management in this past October, so I shall try them again when I have a chance, to see how they are now. Even better in warm weather, for outdoor eating, their inside restaurant is good for cold weather. I’d be surprised if they did not offer raclette or at least, fondues.

http://www.braui-luzern.ch/

foursquare.com/v/ratha us-brauerei/4b9a4f3df964a 52053ab35e3

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /index.html

They re-open on December 10th.

In Zürich, the Hotel which I always use, the Hotel Adler, in the Niederdorf, has an extensive menu of different fondues and raclette.

Can’t comment about Thun from personal knowledge.

Here is what Rick Steve’s has to say about Coop , Migros, and the similar Manora. I generally don’t like Rick Steve’s approach to traveling, but there are enough comments from travelers in this link to give you some idea about the food at Migros and Coop throughout Switzerland

community.ricksteves.c om/travel-forum/switzerland-reviews/experiences-at-migros-or-coop-cafeterias

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2016 at 1:25:59 #856788

Thanks everyone!

Can anyone tell me how many days in advanced should I purchase the Swiss Travel Pass online?

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 November 2016 at 12:44:20 #856789

Hi chachacha,

I’d recommend to visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en a week before you travel, or sooner. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days, so you can print it at home. You’ll find all purchase options in the Swiss Travel Pass price section.

• The thread ‘Recommendations for restaurants in Thun and Luzern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.