Recommendations for two days in Lucerne

• TeeCee
    Participant
    2 posts
    7 July 2014 at 15:43:21 #806491

Dear Folks,

We are a family of four (Two kids age 12 and 16) who will be in Lucerne on the 13th and 14th of July and later leaving for Milan via Lugano on the 15th. After having seen the many options about transportation, I am a bit confused.

Since we are coming by train from Zurich on the 12th morning I had planned to leave our luggage in a locker at the Station, buy the “Tell Pass” and set course for one of the sites directly before retiring at our accommodation. The plan was to visit Mt Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi in the two days that I spend there. The aim was also to combine the lake visit with one of the sites.

I am not sure if this is too ambitious a plan. In terms of moving around we are all comfortable with trekking and long walks. However, I will be grateful if you could guide me on how to prioritise between the sites and any alternate options that might have.

warm regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 July 2014 at 16:29:56 #840408

Hello TeeCee, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your plans are a bit ambitious, but not impossible. The most important thing is clear weather, as mountains covered in clouds are not worth visiting. Be sure to look into bad weather alternatives, there are plenty in Lucerne. The Tell Pass fits your plans.

The attractions you want to visit, and hiking trails, are listed on the Lucerne page. From there, you can find all details and see which sites you want on the top of your list. I recommend the Wilhelm Tell Express for your last day, when you move to Milan. Mount Pilatus could be your choice for the first day as it is closest to Lucerne.

TeeCee
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 July 2014 at 4:53:27 #840409

Thanx Arno,

I understand weather would be the key to our success. I have two more questions

a) Based on the time required to reach a particular place and the possibility of convective clouds with rise in temperature, is there any prioritisation (forenoon / afternoon) that you would recommend between Rigi and Titlis.

b) In case of bad weather forecast on both the days, should I still opt for the Tell Pass or should we then take the daily city ticket.

Regards

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 July 2014 at 6:16:03 #840410

Hi TeeCee,

a) In general, the mornings are better to visit peaks. But you won’t know for sure until you’ve checked the weather forecast the evening before. Also there are live camera images on TV every morning.

b) That depends on what you want to do. Cloudy weather is still suitable to do trips in the valleys by boat and train, so the pass may still come in handy then. If you stay in town you won’t need it.

• The thread ‘Recommendations for two days in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.