Refund from SNCF if I buy Swiss Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2015 at 14:22:33 #807037

Hello,

I purchased tickets from Lyon to Lausanne from SNCF via Geneva Cornavin. The details for the leg from Geneva to Lausanne say:

REGULAR FARE : TICKET WITHOUT RESERVATION: exchange and refund with fees of 10% before and after departure.

The total cost for the trip, for 2 people, is 83.80€. I am guessing the Geneva-Lausanne leg costs approximately 22€ per person according to the SBB website. I am now considering buying a Swiss Pass (I originally decided that buying single tickets was cheaper, but now that I have gotten deeper into planning, I am on the fence). If I buy a Swiss Pass now, can I retroactively get a refund for this leg? . If so, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks for your help and this wonderful website!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 March 2015 at 15:43:45 #842250

Hi flanflanerie,

Welcome to MySwissAlps, and thanks for your compliments! In any case you should contact SNCF and refer to your booking number. They will probably offer you a 90% refund on the entire ticket. Then you can purchase a new ticket for just the French leg, either through them or anyone else.

Whether you buy a Swiss Travel Pass now or later does not matter. For Swiss Travel Pass prices, please see here. As you can see it’s cheaper to buy the pass online, so the easiest is to simply order along a ticket from Lyon to Geneva.

• The thread ‘Refund from SNCF if I buy Swiss Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.