Regarding jungfrau

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2013 at 1:58:43 #838421

That’s not how it works actually. A Swiss Saver Pass gets you consecutive days of free traveling and discounts on mountain transport. It works the same way every day. Please read the Swiss Pass page, which explains what’s included.

You may have read about the Swiss Flexi Pass, which offers free traveling on non-consecutive days, and discounts on the days in between.

The discounts can be checked on the maps you can download from both pages. Both passes always provide a 25% discount on the last section of the Jungfrau (from Wengen/Grindelwald up), and 50% on other mountain transportation.

[quote]rohitsud04 said: Hmm. I think it is possible I might have seen half fare rates by mistake. point taken.

referring to my other query, on days where I don’t use my Swiss saver pass , it works as a half fare card as per my understanding. So on those days, will it give me a 50% saving (similar to a normal half fare card) ?

thanks
    Rohit[/quote]

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2013 at 2:06:09 #838422

Hi Rohit,

It can be done. The order of things depends on where you enter and leave Switzerland. If you go to Italy next, for example, it makes sense to plan the Bernina Express at the end of your stay. If not, Lucerne – Bernina Express – Interlaken would be in order. It is a lot of traveling indeed, but it’s beautiful. Check the timetable to see the exact options. See this topic as well.

Hotels at walking distance from the rail stations are listed here.

[quote]rohitsud04 said: I am actually planning a week in Switzerland.. 3 days in interlaken area and 2 days in lucern
    is there any way of adding 2 days in bernina route to this ? I am interested in 1 day in pontresina and a day on bernina express but the distances seem to be a lot from interlaken to pontresina.

any suggestions?

thanks
    rohit[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 2:33:15 #838423

Hi arno.

Thanks for the prompt feedback.
    I will prepare a detailed itinerary and share now.

ps: I have been a member of this group since last march or so… One of the best managed forums I have seen.

thanks
    Rohit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 2:46:39 #838424

Coming back to my query again (sorry if I am repeating myself). I think we can do Zurich-bernina-lucern-interlaken.
    with 1 or 2 night halts in bernina path (i would prefer one in pontresina to cover Davos), how should our itinerary be for this initial leg ?

ps: we plan to reach Zurich in evening so we can start Zurich-chur early morning next day.

thanks
    Rohit

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2013 at 4:06:32 #838425

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your compliments. We do our best and I’m glad you noticed 😉

If you’re willing to take a very early train from Zurich you can make it to Chur in time to catch the 8:58 AM Bernina Express to Tirano. Then travel back to Pontresina and stay the night. You can go to Davos the next day and stay a night there as well. You could actually take the Glacier Express the next day, deboard in Brig or Visp and go to Interlaken from there. Lucerne would then be your last stop. Note that you do need a Swiss Pass for all this traveling. A Swiss Half Fare Card would be too expensive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 10:52:06 #838426

Hi Admins

Actually I wanted to spend 2 nights in Bernina region and not 3.. How does this itinenrary sound?
    Day 1: Reach Zurich in evening
    Day 2: Early morning train from Zurich to Pontresina. Visit Davos and St Moritz and park in Pontresina for the night
    Day 3: Take Glacier express on day 3 from Pontresina to Zermat, and park in Wisp / Brig for the night (which of the two is better in terms of cold climate and mountain view ?)
    Day 4: Move to Wengen from there (cover Brienz / thun on a boatride)
    Day 5: goto Jungfrau and come back to rest in Wengen.
    Day 6: Goto Lucern (local sight seeing)
    Day 7: Mount Titlis of course
    Day 8: Lucerne to Zurich and depart same day

My queries are:
    1. I am planning this trip in mid november this year. Does that seem my itinerary seem bad for any reason ?
    2. Out of Bernina and Glacier express, a full travel on one seems better so that we dont have 2 hectic days consecutive. Which of these train trip would you recommend to take ?
    3. I am emphasizing a night halt at Pontresina and not St Moritz / Davos since we want the feel of a small place in the snow covered mountains (yet economical). Is there any other halt instead of Pontresina you would recommend keeping this in mind ?
    4. Between Brig and Wisp, which place would you recommend for a night stay (if you recommend Glacier express over Bernina) ?
    5. Any other improvements you can suggest ?

thanks a lot
    Rohti

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2013 at 15:34:19 #838427

Hello Rohit,

1. November is low season so transportation services are limited in some cases. You need to check mountain transport whether or not they operate. Some will completely close down for the Winter. Some will close a week or two for maintenance. The Glacier Express does not operate between October 28 and December 14.
    2. See answer 1 😉 Allthough you can travel the Glacier Express route in November too; just not on board of the official Glacier Express. Note that in your plan you have not included the full Bernina Express route. The soutern section from Pontresina to Tirano is stunning.
    3. Pontresina is great. If you want a less touristy place consider Bever, Samedan or Zuoz. Celerina is nice as well.
    4. Brig would be my choice.
    5. See answer 2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 15:48:33 #838428

So you would recommend day 2 as bernina express day with stoppage in pontresina on return from tirano?
    and day 3 as visit st motors and then move to brig in afternoon with night stay in brig ?

thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 April 2013 at 0:17:44 #838429

Yes, something along those lines would be great if you want to see (nearly) all of the Bernina Express and Glacier Express routes. Day 3 could be either St. Moritz or Davos as that was on your list also.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2013 at 0:36:29 #838430

Sure Arno.

Can you also recommend some budget hotels in these places (Pontresina / Brig / Lucerne / Wengen) ?

Thanks
    Rohit

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 April 2013 at 3:07:55 #838431

Hi Rohit,

Check out these:

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Regarding jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.