Regarding swiss passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2012 at 22:45:01 #804843

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending 8 days in Switzerland in Apr 12. We have more or less done up our itinerary. However, we need advice on the most suitable type of swiss pass to get- swiss pass (saver), swiss flexi pass (saver) or the swiss half fare card. We understand that with a swiss pass (any of the 3 stated earlier), we can only enjoy discounted rides (25%??) around the Jungfrau region and not free rides. We planned to stay in Wengen so would presume that all our rides (train, funicular, gondola) around the area (Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg, Grindelwald etc) would require us to pay 75% of the fare in cash. Is our understanding correct?

Also, given our itinerary, would appreciate any advice on which swiss pass is most suitable for us.

Thanks!

Day 1: Arrive in Bern from Paris. Overnight in Bern.

Day 2: Bern – Montreux via train. Overnight in Montreux.

Day 3: Montreux – Wengen via train. Overnight in Wengen.

Day 4: Wengen and Jungfrau region.

Day 5: Wengen and Jungfrau region.

Day 6: Wengen – Lucerne. Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 7: Lucerne.

Day 8: Lucerne – Zurich. Flight home from Zurich.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2012 at 9:05:34 #834647

See the Swiss Pass map for validity.
    In general the Swiss Pass provides free transportaion on all SBB routes, and the train from Interlaken, Grindelwald,
    Wengen, Lauterbrunen and Murren (bus and cable car). There is a 50% reduction on cablecars and mountain railways except the trip from Wegen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch which is 25%. The cable car to Murren is included in the pass
    The Swiss pass is also good on Lake Boats,Postal Buses and many city buses and trams as well as entrance to 400 museums.
    When going from Montreux to Wengen be sure to take the Golden Pass route through Zweisimmen. If you have a first class pass make reservations for VIP seating on the Golden Pass Panoramic train.

Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2012 at 0:28:18 #834648

Thanks Dick for the reply. It has been most helpful.

So am I right to assume that all types of Swiss Passes (Swiss Pass, Flexi Pass and Half Fare Pass) will enjoy the 50% and 25% discount on cablecars and montain railways.

I’m tweaking my itinerary a bit and will not be going to Montreux. Instead, I will spend the extra night in either Wengen or Lucerne.

In that case, is Swiss Pass the best bargain for me since we won’t be taking many long haul trains or spend much time in the museums. The Swiss Pass is quite pricey and I wouldn’t want to get it if I cannot get the best bargain out of it. Should I look at Flexi Pass or Half Fare Pass instead?

Thanks.

Annika
    7115 posts
    16 January 2012 at 13:52:42 #834649

Hi ahmeng. Yes, the rail passes you mention offer discounts for cable cars and mountain railways (50% in most cases). You can take a look at the maps we link to from the detail pages of the Swiss Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card, and so on. They show the exact areas of validity.

If you like the idea of free traveling, the 8 day Swiss Pass would be a great option. Whether it’s the most economical option depends on the trips you want to make in/from your resorts. If you won’t be getting to Montreux, a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass (with free travel days for – for example – day 1, 6 and 8) or a Swiss Half Fare Card may be cheaper. You can best calculate your trips to find out which pass is best.

• The thread ‘Regarding swiss passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.