Regarding swiz franc

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2013 at 10:36:54 #805890

Hi,
    we(2 adults, 1 baby)will be reaching swiz this april 13th.we are planning to get swiz pass in the basel station.
    will they accept euros in that station or only francs??can i buy the pass with euros????????????
    we heard from one of our friend that they accept euro,but the problem is they treat euro as franc.
    say if the swiz pass for 1 adult comes around 270 franc,then if they accept euros it should be 220 euros.
    will they charge 270 euros if we pay in euros??
    again in small shops also i heard that they treat euro as franc…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 April 2013 at 3:07:56 #838324

Hi vidhya,

They will probably accept Euros but I would recommend to take along Swiss francs during your stay. Swiss francs are the only official currency and they’re accepted everywhere. Payment in Euros can be expensive. It’s convenient if you stay very short, but not if you stay for 4 days and need to make multiple payments. Depending on where you are from, you can purchase the pass in advance and pay in your own currency, so you’d prevent exchange rate fluctuations and banking fees. See the Swiss Pass page for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2013 at 3:46:53 #838325

we are planning to buy the swiz pass in basel train station once we land up there..buying there looks cheap..for 2 people it cost only 380 euros…long back I posted the question whether I will be able to get the pass
    in basel station or not..I remember I got replies saying that basel station will provide swiz saver pass…
    later I had a doubt whether i need to buy the pass in euros or in swiz franc. ..is there a facility to change euros to franc in basel station.If so approx how much they charge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2013 at 16:40:22 #838326

Hi vidhya

If you do the payment via card then you can pay it in Euro’s as they will ask you in which currecny you want to make the payment and conversion rate of that rate will be applicable.

B’coz i have just came last week from Basel and i have purchased my Swiss saver pass in Swedish curreny SEK.

• The thread ‘Regarding swiz franc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.