Report 3 from Maggie

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2013 at 16:23:16 #806135

Report 3 from Maggie
    Another first on Wednesday – after Mike did some early shopping in the market, we took train to Visp then post-bus to Saas-Fee, where we spent a lovely afternoon exploring, before we took bus back to Visp, then for a change a bus to Brig and slow route from Brig to Thun. August 1st– went to Bönigen to follow the House trail round the village – I had downloaded a guide to the houses (in English!) from Internet so had all the information to hand. After lunch in Interlaken West we watched the Parade – managed to find a spot in the shade to stand as it was very hot. We returned toThun and in the evening boarded the “Stadt Thun” to take part in the Parade of boats and watch firework displays along route. On Friday we went by trains to Meiringen, where we took post-bus ride to Oberwald (stunning ride with fantastic views) then train to Andermatt where according to weather forecast it would be cooler but wasn’t! Had some lunch then a wander around including the little chapel on the hill before returning by train via Brig. Saturday again hot – Mike did shopping while I did some washing and we had a lazy day. Sunday (another hot day) we went to church in Interlaken then took train to Brienz where we had lunch and a wander before enjoying boat ride back to Interlaken Ost, a stroll along the river (where we tried to photograph some dragonflies!) to West and a further boat ride to Thun. Having done lots of research before setting off for Switzerland I had had in mind quite a few places for us to visit for the first time so on Monday we went to Engelberg where we visited the Kloster cheese factory (I can heartily recommend their café for an excellent lunch) then the beautiful church though we couldn’t go in the monastery as we were there on the wrong day for guided tours, so as we has some time in hand and it was hot again, we found gondola ride up to Ristis (half-way point to Brunni) where had lovely refreshing sorbets before returning down to catch trains back to Thun. Another first on Tuesday was to go to Einsiedeln (a bus replacement service on part of the planned rail route was efficiently organised by transport staff so didn’t cause any problems). We visited the beautiful Church – quite amazing – then found the Bethlehem Diorama and the Mineral Museum, followed by the Panorama then the Gingerbread Museum – quite a mixture of experiences in one day!
    Just a week to go now so will it stop raining in Zermatt? What else will we have time to fit in? Is the weather turning cooler and showery? Will let you know when we return home to UK
    Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    10 August 2013 at 8:24:34 #839137

Thanks for your new update Maggie! Great to read about all your adventures. You once again make the most out of your stay in Thun. Yes, I’ve seen that weather in Zermatt hasn’t been that great. Do you still have plans to head for the south? I hope you’ll have a wonderful last week and we’re looking forward to your last report.

• The thread ‘Report 3 from Maggie’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.