Reservation for Luzerne-Interlaken Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 13:06:29 #812232

My husband and I intend to take the Luzerne Interlaken Express to go from Luzerne to Interlaken on June 21,2017. We have a 2nd class Swiss Pass.

1.Do we need to reserve our seats.?

2.How much in advance do we reserve if at all?

3.Since we are still in India how do we reserve if we have to.?

4.What is the frequency of this train?

Thanks in advance

Seema

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 15:56:49 #864991

Hi Seema and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. No – almost no trains in Switzerland are reservable – the only ones you have to worry about are these panoramic trains
    2. See above 🙂
    3. See above 🙂
    4. You can search the Swiss railways timetable here for all train schedules.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 16:39:16 #864992

Thanks a lot Lucas for your response. My understanding is that the Luzerne -Interlaken Express IS a panoramic train. Thus the question about whether reservation is required.

I have checked at numerous places but couldn’t get a satisfactory response.

Also will we get to see the Giessbach falls on this journey from Luzerne to Interlaken.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 19:06:45 #864993

It is sort of a panoramic train yes (larger windows and has express in the name) but it isn’t one of the official panoramic trains that reservations are mandatory for.

You do go by Giessbach falls on the route but I’m not sure if you can see them from the train (and it would be brief) – I haven’t been on that route before.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 1:52:38 #864994

>> Also will we get to see the Giessbach falls on this journey from Luzerne to Interlaken.

I’ve travelled that route many times and never actually noticed them from the train! They are quite small, and on the opposite side of the lake from the train. You could keep a lookout for them across the lake shortly after leaving Brienz.

However, if you would like a close-up view, and the timing works out, you could travel the Brienz-Interlaken sector of your trip by boat, which will pass right by the falls.

I did this trip last year, and if you are interested, you can read about it in my post of Nov 3, 2016 – 12:54 PM on the page below. I also included a photo of the falls, taken from the boat.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Reservation for Luzerne-Interlaken Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.