Reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2011 at 18:00:13 #804230

We are traveling to Switzerland in July. We have purchased the 3 day Flexi Pass. From everything I read it appears that I do not need reservations to travel from Basel to Interlaken OST and Interlaken OST to Murren. We will be arriving in Basel via the high speed train from Paris. We do have reservations for this. We were hoping to make the 12:01 or 13:01 train to Interlaken, however, when I looked it up it is a Intercity Express or Intercity train. My concern is that when I was on RE website the 12:01 train is labeled reservations required and the 13:01 train is labeled reservations recommended. I would really like to NOT make reservations to save money and allow my plans to be flexible, but I want to be sure that I should be ok not making them.

Also I am also traveling from Murren to Lucerne on the 18 and Lucerne to Basel on the 20. I am assuming I will not need reservations for these either.

Finally, if a seat on a train is reserved for any leg of the trip, do they label it so we know not to sit in it?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 April 2011 at 2:02:02 #832601

Hello amichele1974,

You can best check the Swiss timetable to check whether reservations are recommended, required or just “possible if you prefer” for the train on your specific day and time. Your 12:01 or 13:01 trains Basel – Interlaken, for July 4 for instance, do not require reservations. Most trains don’t require them, with the exception of some panoramic trains.

The timetable also shows that there are more connections than one per hour if you don’t mind to change trains along the way.

Reserved seat are labeled with either an electronic display or a paper label.

Hope this helps!

• The thread ‘Reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.