Reservations for Bernina Express (Winter)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 21:31:14 #808619

Hello,

I am wondering about the reservations for the Bernina Express train in the ‘winter’ (end of April). From what I understand you have the option to reserve on the panoramic cars or ride in the regular cars infront of the panorama cars during the winter? Can anyone confirm or clarify this please? I already have tickets, but have not purchased a reservation at this time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2016 at 10:14:03 #849411

Hi trophy23,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I think you’re referring to the regular trains from St. Moritz to Tirano and back. They include a panoramic car in winter. It’s explained on myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress. Also see the link under “More on other websites”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2016 at 15:14:27 #849412

We are travelling from Tirano to Chur (then connecting onto Germany) we depart on the train at 14:26 which I believe is the actual Bernina Express on a Sunday toward the end of April. When I booked the tickets it gave me an option to select a seat in 2nd class in car 5 (only other option was 1st class car 4) so my understanding was that car 1-3 were regular cars? That iis how it seemed in the email, the made it sound like I could make a reservation at the station In Tirano if there are seats left or just board the regular cars. I wasn’t sure so I didn’t do a reservation yet. I sent another email to clarify but the answer still wasn’t clear.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2016 at 15:44:15 #849413

That train is indeed the actual Glacier Express. Seats in the panoramic cars must be reserved. You can do so in Tirano but if they’re booked out you should sit in the regular cars. I’m not sure how many regular cars there are, but I would personally prefer to book a seat in a panoramic car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2016 at 16:01:10 #849414

Thank you for the info. Is there ome side that is better than the other going Northbound? Will there be any windows to open for better photos?

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2016 at 19:23:18 #849415

You’re welcome! Both sides are wonderful. Perhaps the left side is slightly better because of the view on the lake on the Bernina Pass. The windows do not open.

• The thread ‘Reservations for Bernina Express (Winter)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.