Return Basel – Murren, on to Colmar

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2016 at 18:01:21 #809861

hi

At the end of October (22 Oct) I plan to make a trip from Basel to Murren, then stay 2 nights in Murren, then travel from Murren to Colmar. Can you please tell me the cheapest way to do this? I know it is too early to get a quote from the SBB site, but each time I do try to get a price for travel in ‘say’ a weeks time it comes back with a range of prices, one time I can be CHF 31, then CHF 79 for what seems like the same ticket. I must be doing something wrong, but anyway I need to know if it will be a similar price in the ‘off peak’ times – like the end of October. What I’m trying to work out is the cheapest and best way to make the return journey, and also if I should buy my final train ticket all the way to Colmar (from Murren) or just back to Basel and then get another one to Colmar from the French side? Maybe its cheaper to get a rail pass that is for two days?

thank you for any help you can give me 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 August 2016 at 8:04:13 #855039

Hi lockt, welcome to MySwissAlps!

How to find ticket prices is explained on myswissalps.com/ timetable, and how to compare passes is explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/ practical/ chooserailpass.

It is not too early to check ticket prices as they’re fixed and only change once a year (+3% from January 1, 2017). Basel to Mürren return costs CHF 157.20 (2nd class). The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi includes that trip for a lower price, and also gets you discounts on transportation while in Mürren: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 16:52:51 #855040

Thank you for your reply – it is a big help.

I have looked at your note and one thing I can do is go direct from the airport, but can I use the Swiss Transfer ticket from Basel airport? Also as my flight comes in at 3 PM it will be a later train trip to go all the way, can I stop off for one night and then do the transfer the next day, or do I need to do it on the day of arrival?

If I do need to go on day of arrival, then I guess it will be dark by the time I get to Murren? I think the trip is 3 hours long, so it will be past 7 pm when I get there.

Are the cable cars included in the cost to Murren? I have read somewhere that they are extra.

one last thing – can you get a young persons rail card for the Swiss transfer ticket? my daughter will be 16 when we travel.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:15:14 #855041

Hi lockt,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket is valid from Basel airport, no problem. You can go straight to Mürren the day of arrival. The entire trip including the cable cars is included. If you rather spend the night in Basel you need to buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket for the next day. Children up to 15 travel along for free if you have a Swiss Transfer Ticket, but a 16 year old is considered an adult.

It will be dark around 6:45 PM. The trip takes 3h20.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:22:01 #855042

thank you once again – I know this is a silly question but what time do the trains stop? I guess they go on until around mid night?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:23:57 #855043

1. also can I use the Swiss Transfer ticket from Basel train station and which one do I need to leave from?

2. also I tried to work out how to get a quote for a train ticket but couldn’t – sorry – and I wondered do you know how much a train costs from Basel Airport to Basel?

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:31:08 #855044

Please check the timetable I referred to before. Schedules are different per route.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:35:17 #855045

1. Sure, that’s what I meant if you stay the night in Basel.

2. There’s only a bus, not a train. A single ride costs CHF 4.40. But you don’t need this if you go straight to Mürren as the bus is included in the Swiss Transfer Ticket. How to find prices is explained on the timetable page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 16:04:14 #855046

do you know if the Swiss Transfer ticket can also be used to travel from Basel to Vaduz, in Liechtenstein, and back again?

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 August 2016 at 18:37:39 #855047

Yes, absolutely. Please see the map at myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket/ validity.

• The thread ‘Return Basel – Murren, on to Colmar’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.