Return Basel - Murren, on to Colmar

Return Basel - Murren, on to Colmar

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 12, 2016 - 6:01 PM

hi

At the end of October (22 Oct) I plan to make a trip from Basel to Murren, then stay 2 nights in Murren, then travel from Murren to Colmar. Can you please tell me the cheapest way to do this? I know it is too early to get a quote from the SBB site, but each time I do try to get a price for travel in 'say' a weeks time it comes back with a range of prices, one time I can be CHF 31, then CHF 79 for what seems like the same ticket. I must be doing something wrong, but anyway I need to know if it will be a similar price in the 'off peak' times - like the end of October. What I'm trying to work out is the cheapest and best way to make the return journey, and also if I should buy my final train ticket all the way to Colmar (from Murren) or just back to Basel and then get another one to Colmar from the French side? Maybe its cheaper to get a rail pass that is for two days?

thank you for any help you can give me :-)

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 13, 2016 - 8:04 AM

Hi lockt, welcome to MySwissAlps!

How to find ticket prices is explained on myswissalps.com/ timetable, and how to compare passes is explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/ practical/ chooserailpass.

It is not too early to check ticket prices as they're fixed and only change once a year (+3% from January 1, 2017). Basel to Mürren return costs CHF 157.20 (2nd class). The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi includes that trip for a lower price, and also gets you discounts on transportation while in Mürren: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

Last modified on Aug 13, 2016 - 8:04 AM by Arno
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 15, 2016 - 4:52 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you for your reply - it is a big help.

I have looked at your note and one thing I can do is go direct from the airport, but can I use the Swiss Transfer ticket from Basel airport? Also as my flight comes in at 3 PM it will be a later train trip to go all the way, can I stop off for one night and then do the transfer the next day, or do I need to do it on the day of arrival?

If I do need to go on day of arrival, then I guess it will be dark by the time I get to Murren? I think the trip is 3 hours long, so it will be past 7 pm when I get there.

Are the cable cars included in the cost to Murren? I have read somewhere that they are extra.

one last thing - can you get a young persons rail card for the Swiss transfer ticket? my daughter will be 16 when we travel.

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 15, 2016 - 5:15 PM

Hi lockt,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket is valid from Basel airport, no problem. You can go straight to Mürren the day of arrival. The entire trip including the cable cars is included. If you rather spend the night in Basel you need to buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket for the next day. Children up to 15 travel along for free if you have a Swiss Transfer Ticket, but a 16 year old is considered an adult.

It will be dark around 6:45 PM. The trip takes 3h20.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 15, 2016 - 5:22 PM in reply to Arno

thank you once again - I know this is a silly question but what time do the trains stop? I guess they go on until around mid night?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 15, 2016 - 5:23 PM in reply to Removed user

1. also can I use the Swiss Transfer ticket from Basel train station and which one do I need to leave from?

2. also I tried to work out how to get a quote for a train ticket but couldn't - sorry - and I wondered do you know how much a train costs from Basel Airport to Basel?

Last modified on Aug 15, 2016 - 5:32 PM by Arno
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 15, 2016 - 5:31 PM in reply to Removed user

Please check the timetable I referred to before. Schedules are different per route.

Last modified on Aug 15, 2016 - 5:31 PM by Arno
Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 15, 2016 - 5:35 PM in reply to Removed user

1. Sure, that's what I meant if you stay the night in Basel.

2. There's only a bus, not a train. A single ride costs CHF 4.40. But you don't need this if you go straight to Mürren as the bus is included in the Swiss Transfer Ticket. How to find prices is explained on the timetable page.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 18, 2016 - 4:04 PM in reply to Arno

do you know if the Swiss Transfer ticket can also be used to travel from Basel to Vaduz, in Liechtenstein, and back again?

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Aug 18, 2016 - 6:37 PM in reply to Removed user

Yes, absolutely. Please see the map at myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket/ validity.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016