Return trip Geneva to Zermatt with students

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2014 at 17:56:27 #806729

I am about to book tickets on line for the return train trip Geneva to Zermatt before Christmas for my family of four. It looks quite expensive for the four of us to travel. My oldest son is at university and has a student card- can he use it for any discount? Would it apply to first class travel? My second son is at school but is aged 17, he has a UK young persons rail card- is there something similar he can buy for Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

dak64
    Participant
    5 posts
    24 November 2014 at 21:07:13 #841338

I’ll be doing this journey after christmas as a family of four. One of my kids is still under 16 so they can travel free with a parent. But I could find no discount that made sense for the older child. There is a half-price travelcard, but it costs money (valid for a year). The best bet for us was the Swiss Transfer Ticket that provides for one round trip from swiss border to any point inside switzerland. Under 16 free (with parent) 16 or over same price as adult. Available in either 1st or 2nd class (we did 2nd class… I’ve never really found the need to do 1st — but in saying that the early morning Zermatt to Visp train can be packed full on a saturday morning as half the resort makes their way back to an airport on a saturday).

Are you taking your own skis? Consider the fly-rail baggage service. I’m doing it just for our skis — one less bag per person to handle on the trains.

DAK

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 November 2014 at 5:25:25 #841339

Here are some resources in addition to the excellent information provided by DAK:

• The thread ‘Return trip Geneva to Zermatt with students’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.