Rhine Falls and a mountain trip in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2016 at 20:55:11 #808953

Hi,

I am already in Switzerland and completed our Mt. Titlis journey today. Though we missed the tube slides at Trubsee as we were up in the ice flyer etc for a long time.

My question is for tomorrow…. We are contemplating an alternative to visiting the Jungfrau mountains. As such we are planning to go to the Rhine Falls by morning. We are staying at Gersau, Schwyz and will have to travel from Gersau to Brunnen to Luzern to Zurich… Since we are thinking not to go to the Jungfrau tomorrow, as such wanted to know if there is another mountain peak / range near the Rhine Falls which we can visit by afternoon after completing the Rhine Falls ??? Something nearby within reach.

What would be a good time to start from Gersau for the Rhine Falls ? 9am sounds fine to start ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2016 at 23:34:53 #850929

Go to the Jungfrau region unless the weather forecast is for “cloudy”.

Nothing better in Switzerlnd.

Just my opinion.

<<“as such wanted to know if there is another mountain peak / range near the Rhine Falls which we can visit by afternoon after completing the Rhine Falls ??? Something nearby within reach.”>

Take a look at the map:

Consider Säntis., or Ebenalp,

Please, let us know how you like the Rhine Falls.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 April 2016 at 6:58:58 #850930

There aren’t that many mountains in the north of Switzerland. I would probably spend the morning at the falls and the afternoon in Zurich, perhaps with a ride up to Uetliberg for a view over the town. It’s more like a hill but the view is good and it’s easy to reach by train from the main station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2016 at 7:06:59 #850931

Hi Arno,

Thanks. We still at the hotel in Gersau. Which mountains would be a good alternative to the Jungfrau, if not going as far as the Rhines ? Somewhere we would find snow covers (like Titlis yesterday). Somewhere we can stay till late. The last rotair down at Titlis was at 4:50pm only though it stays bright outside till 7-8pm. My wife loved playing in the snow and hit me with few ice balls 😅

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2016 at 7:10:22 #850932

Hi Arno-

As this link says, Säntis is a bit unique….has some characteristics of the high Alps, and is near the Bodensee.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/saentis-schwaegalp2.html

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2016 at 7:13:07 #850933

You don’t have to go up to the Jungfrau. You could go only as far as Kleine Scheidegg:

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1357201413-Interaktive-360%C2%B0-Webcam-Kleine-Scheidegg-Lauberhorn-%283823-Kleine-Scheidegg%29_Weather

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Rhine Falls and a mountain trip in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.