Right travel pass for 6 days Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2016 at 13:53:31 #809804

Apologies if this is already addressed.

Family of 5 (2 adults, one 18 year old, and two between 11-16 years), planning Switzerland for 8 days.

Can you suggest the best train passes, in terms of economy, given the below planned circuits?

Day1. Train from Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen

Day2. Brienzer-Rothorn steam train, return journey

Day3. Lauterbrunnen. to Wengen (train) ; Wengen to Kl Scheidegg (train) ; Kl Scheidegg to Grindelwald Grund (walk); Grindelwald Grund – Maennlichen (Gondola) ; Maennlichen to Wengen (cable car)

Day4: Gondola from Grindelwald to First

Day5: Train from Lauterbrunnen to Bern for day trip

Day6: Train from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne for day trip and continue on to Zurich airport

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    3 August 2016 at 14:45:38 #854779

Hi syedghani, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland seems like a good fit: http://www.myswissalps.com/ regionalpassberneseobe rland. You can download the map to see where it’s valid. You need regular tickets to/from Bern/Lucerne, as that’s where validity starts.

If you want to compare it to other passes you can do so as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2016 at 6:43:40 #854780

Thank you Annika for your advice.

Just so that I am accurate on my budgeting, do you endorse the below figure:

Regional Pass Bernese Oberland (without Swiss Travel System ticket) with 8 days validity:

2 adults and 1 youth (340 per pax) = 1020 chf, and

2 children (30 chfper child).= 60 chf

Grand Total: 1020+60 = 1080 chf

This will cover all trains/gondolas/cables, mentioned in my message…except train from and to Zurich airport. Correct?

What about cost and appropriate pass for Lauterbrunnen – Bern – Lauterbrunnen trip?

Also, what about cost and appropriate pass for Lauterbrunnen – Lucerne – Zurich trip?

Kind regards

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 August 2016 at 7:09:02 #854781

Hi syedghani,

Yes, your calculation seems to be correct. Did you download the validity map I mentioned from http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity? As you’ll see, the rides to/from Bern and Lucerne are fully covered. All you need are additional tickets between Zurich Airport and Bern on day 1, and between Lucerne and Zurich Airport on day 6.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2016 at 7:26:33 #854782

Dear Annika. Many thanks. Yes I am downloading it now, and thanks for the reminder.

Kind regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2016 at 7:49:00 #854783

By the way, what kind of pass do you advice for Zur-Bern, and Lucerne-Zurich sectors?

And if you have the cost on hand for 2 adults, 1 youth, and 2 children, that will greatly help.

Kind regards

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2016 at 8:10:36 #854784

Regular tickets will work fine for those sections. If you buy Junior travelcards for the children they do not need a ticket there, nor do they need the CHF 30 Regional-Passes: myswissalps.com/ regionalpassberneseobe rland/ price. Annika’s link in her August 3 post explains how to find and compare ticket and pass prices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 8:30:22 #854785

Thanks Arno.

Are the BO Regional tickets discounted of they are purchased a few days/weeks/months before the travel date? I looked up this info but could not find any reference.

Kind regards

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 August 2016 at 10:01:05 #854786

Hi syedghani,

There are no discounts for buying early. The available discounts are on the last page I linked to, and on the Promotions tab on that same page (currently no special promotions).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2016 at 14:17:34 #854787

Dear Arno and Annika. Thank you for your past help. I have now finalized my destinations, and would greatly appreciate if you can review and advice on the right travel pass. In addition I have a couple more questions listed below. Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Family configuration: husband, wife, 2 children (12-15 years old) and 1 youth 18 years old.

Duration: Aug 26- Sep 1

Below are the destinations and modes of transpo:

1. Train from Zurich airport to Bern (one-way)

2. Lauterbrunnen. to Wengen (train) ;

3. Wengen to Kl Scheidegg (train) ;

4. Grindelwald Grund – Maennlichen (Gondola) ;

5. Maennlichen to Wengen (cable car)

6. Train from Lauterbrunnen station to Interlaken Ost for Brienz;

7. Train from Interlaken Ost to Brienz.

8. Steam train from Brienz station to Rothorn (return journey)

9. Train from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald ;

10. First gondola to the First ski resort;

11. Ride the “First Flieger”

12. Train from Lauterbrunnen to Bern and back

13. Brunig Panoramic Expressway between Interlaken and Lucerne (one way)

14. Train from Lucerne to Zurich (one way)

QUESTIONS:

1. Is REGIONAL BO PASS still the most economical option, or you would advice HALF-FARE PASS (tried the trip calculator but I fail myself to determine the right choice)?

2. With REGIONAL BO PASS or HALF-FARE PASS, do I have to buy STP ?

3. For 12-16 years old, do I have to buy JUNIOR TRAVEL CARD or SWISS FAMILY CARD? And do I pay any sum towards that purchase?

4. For 18 year old, do I buy Swiss Youth Pass, or just the REGIONAL BO PASS?

Again, many thanks in advance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 August 2016 at 15:04:51 #854788

Hi again syedghani!

1. The page Annika referred to about comparing passes is the only way to find the most economical pass. I can’t tell for sure from the top of my head. At first glance the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland still seems like a good choice.

2. You only need one pass. If you prefer the Swiss Travel Pass (this one also includes the full rides from and to Zurich airport) or the Swiss Half Fare Card, be sure to order now as you can print them at home. That will save you time on arrival. It takes 1-3 business days to receive the e-mail with the pass:

3. That depends on which pass you pick. Please see the pass pages we referred to, it’s all explained there.

4. Both will work, but you will need to do the math if you want to be sure about which option is cheapest. Personally I would buy the same pass for the adults and the 18 year old as that’s much simpler while traveling.

• The thread ‘Right travel pass for 6 days Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.