Rigi and Lake Lucerne in a single day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 9:37:12 #808690

Hello

I ‘ll be travelling to swiss from 10-13 may 2016 and will be spending 2 nights at lauterbrunnen and another night at lucern. I have few questions to ask. We are planning to take the golden panoramic train from interlaken OST-Lucern at around 7.30am on 12May. If not mistaken the travel time will take about 2 hours plus.I am travelling with husband and a 2 years old toddler and planning to reach Mount Rigi as per below:

-Boat trip from Lucerne – Vitznau in 2nd class

-Uphill Vitznau – Rigi Kulm and downhill Rigi Kulm – Goldau on the cogwheel railway

-Train from Arth-Goldau – Lucerne in 2nd class

My question is, is it possible to do that in a single day knowing that we will reach Lucern at approximately about 11am?

Thanks and regards

nor

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 12:10:09 #849704

Hello Nor,

Yes that trip is possible in one day. We have done it a few times from Thun, arriving in Lucerne at about that time. Check the timetable for details. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass the entire journey is covered.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2016 at 23:44:14 #849705

Hi Nor –

Maggie has advised you well. That will be a very scenic journey, assuming that you have reasonably clear weather.

I admire your ability to get up early and catch that 0730 train 😉 Sit on the left as you descend toward Luzern, but once you have reached Giswil or Sachseln, the views are not bad on the right. I’d still try to sit on the left until Sarnen, From here, maybe on the right is a little bit better.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 21:34:00 #849706

Hi Maggie & Slowpoke,

Thanks for your response, may i know how long would it take for Boat trip from Lucerne – Vitznau? And i would like to know how long does it take to complete the Uphill Vitznau – Rigi Kulm and downhill Rigi Kulm – Goldau on the cogwheel railway excluding the photo capturing session on the mountain?

Regards

Nor

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2016 at 21:39:33 #849707

Hi Nor-

Please check the timetable linked by Maggie. It has all the answers to those questions. If you have trouble using it, let us know.

You will find it very useful to know how to use it when you travel in Switzerland.

This will also help:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Rigi and Lake Lucerne in a single day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.