Rigi vs Pilatus (New Year Day)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2015 at 13:36:17 #808207

Hi, is it better to visit Pilatus or Rigi during winter? I understand that Pilatus is closer to Lucerne. We have only 1 day in Lucerne and we wish to do some sightseeing and visit the mountain. The train to Pilatus is closed so I was wondering if it is still worth going to Pilatus. Which do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 December 2015 at 15:45:22 #847306

Hi intermagix,

If you’re interested in a round trip then Mount Rigi would be more interesting: train to Arth-Goldau – cogwheel train up – another cogwheel train down to Vitznau and back to Lucerne by boat. Also there are more options for a bit of walking. If you’re interested in snow then Mount Pilatus could be slighty better as it’s a bit higher, but right now there’s a lack of snow about everywhere, and I don’t expect that to change soon. The trip to Mount Pilatus in winter is indeed limited by the same cable car up and down.

Here’s more information:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2015 at 19:51:31 #847307

For the hiking trails of Mt. Rigi – the less strenuous trails – Do you think sneakers would be acceptable? I am trying to avoid packing my big hiking boots because we will only be in Switzerland for two days.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 December 2015 at 14:33:03 #847308

Hi adrinker,

Will you also be there in winter, just like intermagix? If so, then take into account that sneakers are not suitable for snow. But as long as there’s no snow you’re good to go on the easier trails.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 December 2015 at 18:10:06 #847309

I like the easy trail that starts from Rigi Kulm or Rigi Staffel, parallels the tracks almost as far as Rigi Staffel-Höhe, then swings out to the right over the meadows to Rigi Känzeli , for spectacular views. It then continues to Rigi Kaltbad First, where you can catch the train down to Vitznau.

Sneakers are OK all the way, if there is no snow and ice. Wear warm socks. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2016 at 15:14:58 #847310

Thanks Annika. We followed the route you suggested and had a fun time visiting Mt. Rigi and Lucerne today. We spent about 5 hours and the Swiss Travel pass was extremely useful. Thanks again and happy new year!

Annika
    7104 posts
    2 January 2016 at 13:24:34 #847311

Hi intermagix,

Thanks for letting us know! I’m glad you liked your visit to Rigi and Lucerne. I hope skies were clear, allowing you to enjoy the beautiful views up there at Rigi. The Swiss Travel Pass is very convenient indeed, as it covers the entire route.

Happy new year to you too!

• The thread ‘Rigi vs Pilatus (New Year Day)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.