Road trip to Switzerland in late May

Road trip to Switzerland in late May

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Pavan
Pavan
1 post
May 11, 2016 - 9:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

I will be travelling across Europe from the UK in my car, will get to Switzerland by the 28th May.

Wanted to go on the following roads.

Will be using the Black Forest road in Germany then coming down to visit the following passes.

Klausen Pass then down to Susten Pass & Furka Pass.

My question is, will any of these roads be open around the 28th - 29th of May? If not, are there any other alternative scenic roads you recommend that will be open?

I'm aware that there are trains you can get on however I wanted to go by car.

Thank you for your help! :)

Arno
Arno
7719 posts
expert &
May 11, 2016 - 10:32 AM in reply to Pavan

Hi Pavan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I'd recommend to have an alternative plan in mind (by train or a different route). The Klausen pass should open late May so will probably be fine, but the other two will most probably only open early to mid June. Such trips by car are best done from July to September. Please find more information on myswissalps.com/ car/trafficinfo. That's where you can find open passes to compose a different route. The Gotthard pass should be open late May, so that might be an alternative.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
May 11, 2016 - 2:52 PM in reply to Pavan

Hi Pavan-

If you are an accomplished mountain driver, this advice may be irrelevant. Here it is, just in case.

We drove the Klausen fron Linthal to Altdorf a few years ago in wet and cloudy weather. The road lacks guardrails in many places ( as is the case with many other Swiss pass roads) and is quite narrow in places...too narrow for two cars to pass without one backing up. Downhill has right of way, and Post Buses have absolute right of way.

We did not find it an easy drive. Part of that was due to poor visibility, of course. If we do it again, we would drive from Altdorf to Linthal, so as to be on the inside lane as much as possible ( except for switchbacks, of course.)

If you are a hiker, you might want to consider Suvorov's route from Altdorf up and over Chinzig Kulm and possibly down into the Muottatal. Cableways will get you partway up there.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
7719 posts
expert &
May 11, 2016 - 4:04 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

Uphill traffic has right of way, correct?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
May 11, 2016 - 4:09 PM in reply to Arno

You know better than I. i thought it was the other way.I remember it as being easier to back downhill than uphill....but could be wrong.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
7719 posts
expert &
May 11, 2016 - 4:54 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

The reasoning behind this is that it's difficult for a (heavy) vehicle going uphill to stop and then continue. You can verify here and here. Post buses indeed have always right of way.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
May 11, 2016 - 5:02 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks.

You learn something new every day on My Swiss Alps. ;-)

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016