Road trip to Switzerland in late May

• Pavan
    Participant
    2 posts
    11 May 2016 at 9:31:01 #809171

Hi Everyone,

I will be travelling across Europe from the UK in my car, will get to Switzerland by the 28th May.

Wanted to go on the following roads.

Will be using the Black Forest road in Germany then coming down to visit the following passes.

Klausen Pass then down to Susten Pass & Furka Pass.

My question is, will any of these roads be open around the 28th – 29th of May? If not, are there any other alternative scenic roads you recommend that will be open?

I’m aware that there are trains you can get on however I wanted to go by car.

Thank you for your help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 May 2016 at 10:32:53 #851867

Hi Pavan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d recommend to have an alternative plan in mind (by train or a different route). The Klausen pass should open late May so will probably be fine, but the other two will most probably only open early to mid June. Such trips by car are best done from July to September. Please find more information on myswissalps.com/ car/trafficinfo. That’s where you can find open passes to compose a different route. The Gotthard pass should be open late May, so that might be an alternative.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 May 2016 at 14:52:44 #851868

Hi Pavan-

If you are an accomplished mountain driver, this advice may be irrelevant. Here it is, just in case.

We drove the Klausen fron Linthal to Altdorf a few years ago in wet and cloudy weather. The road lacks guardrails in many places ( as is the case with many other Swiss pass roads) and is quite narrow in places…too narrow for two cars to pass without one backing up. Downhill has right of way, and Post Buses have absolute right of way.

We did not find it an easy drive. Part of that was due to poor visibility, of course. If we do it again, we would drive from Altdorf to Linthal, so as to be on the inside lane as much as possible ( except for switchbacks, of course.)

If you are a hiker, you might want to consider Suvorov’s route from Altdorf up and over Chinzig Kulm and possibly down into the Muottatal. Cableways will get you partway up there.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 May 2016 at 16:04:04 #851869

Hi Slowpoke,

Uphill traffic has right of way, correct?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 May 2016 at 16:09:24 #851870

You know better than I. i thought it was the other way.I remember it as being easier to back downhill than uphill….but could be wrong.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 May 2016 at 16:54:10 #851871

Hi Slowpoke,

The reasoning behind this is that it’s difficult for a (heavy) vehicle going uphill to stop and then continue. You can verify here and here. Post buses indeed have always right of way.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 May 2016 at 17:02:33 #851872

Thanks.

You learn something new every day on My Swiss Alps. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Road trip to Switzerland in late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.