Rome – Murren – Lucerne – Rome

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2013 at 2:53:02 #806026

Hi there,

am looking for the most cost effective way for the below journey:
    Day 1: Rome to Murren (spend 2 nights in Murren)
    Day 3: Murren to Lucerne (spend 2 nights in Lucerne incl trip up Mt Titlis)
    Day 5: Lucerne to Rome

i realise that rail on this journey would cost about 720CHF for 2 pax which sounds quite ex. Would anyone recommend flying or driving cross-country instead as cheaper but not much more difficult options? If ultimately rail is the best, would it make sense to buy half-fare card or flexipass?

my planned itinerary for Rome to Murren is Rome – Milan – Spiez – Murren; whilst that for Lucerne to Rome is Lucerne – Arth Goldau – Milan – Rome. If i purchase flexipass, do i need to change my swiss stops (like to Chiasso) to make better money sense?

appreciate any advice, thanks!

Cat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    28 May 2013 at 14:11:34 #838783

Welcome Cat! I suggest you look into a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass. The Swiss Flexi Pass allows three free travel days. You’d use them for day 1, 5 and any of the other days in between on which you plan to make the longest and most expensive journey (probably day 3: Mürren to Lucerne). You’re allowed to travel on any route, with whichever detour you like, during free travel days. The remaining days allos you to buy 50% discounted tickets. The routes you propose would be great. If you’re in for a scenic (but somewhat longer) inbound trip, then skip quick the tunnel connection to Spiez and board the regional Lötschberg Express in Brig instead. Details can be found by mentioning Goppenstein and Kandersteg as via-stations in the timetable.

An alternative would be the Swiss Card. It might turn out to be a bit cheaper, but that really depends on the plan you have on day 2, 3 and 4. It allows a free inbound trip (Domodossola – Mürren) and a free outbround trip (Lucerne-Domodossola or Lucerne-Chiasso), plus a 50% discount in between. The only restriction is that you’re bound to the quickest and/or cheapest inbound and outbound routes, as proposed by the timetable. But that won’t be a problem for any of the routes you have in mind.

I hope this helps you decice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2013 at 4:55:43 #838784

Hi thanks Arno.

i’ve checked the pricing and yes will buy the flexi pass! I believe i need to have it delivered to Singapore before I leave OR is it cheaper to pick it up at the Italian Rome airport?. Also, are my following assumptions correct though in managing this with italian connections?
    Day 1: To purchase with Trenitalia for the <Rome – Milan – Domo – Brig> leg and then use Flexi Pass for <Brig – Murren>. When i switch trains from EC to IC at Brig (30min stopover), do I have to leave the platform to go into the station to validate the flexipass and then get on the IC train towards Murren? if so, do I realistically have enough time to do this (factoring in possible trouble locating the validating station and queues)? or can I validate it on the train when the conductor comes on board to check? Basically I don’t have to pay extra for the <Brig – Murren> leg right?

Day 5: I will prepurchase the <Chiasso – Rome> leg from Trenitalia. I see from the sites that there is no change in train (EC 15) from Chiasso to Como S Giovani in Italy. So this means I don’t have to get off the train at all and just show the Flexi Pass to Chiasso and then show the Trenitalia ticket for Chiasso-Rome leg? Or do I have to exit the train at Chiasso to validate or make reservations for the Chiasso-Rome leg?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Regards,
    Cat

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 May 2013 at 5:41:50 #838785

Hi Cat,

I don’t think there’s an option to get your pass at the airport in Italy, but actually is easier than that: you can purchase everything you need from one website, both the Swiss Flexi Pass here and the point to point tickets here. They’ll have your order ready for you at the People’s Park Centre in Singapore (for free), or they can ship it to your home address. If they do offer collection at the airport you will see that while ordering, but I don’t think so. Most long distance Italian trains require seat reservations. They’ll be offered when you search for tickets through the link I just gave you. It’s best to book such trains well in advance (from 60-90 days ahead), if possible. Don’t forget to use the promo code to get a discount!

Your pass can be validated by the conductor of the train bound for Switzerland. There’s no need to get off the train for that. Your Swiss Flexi Pass offers free traveling from Domodossola in Italy (there’s a downloadable map on the page Annika linked to). So you only need a ticket to Domodossola, not to Brig. Domodossola to Mürren is indeed free. Be sure to validate your pass before reaching Domodossola.

As for your outbound trip: again, no need to get off the train. Just show your Swiss Flexi Pass until Chiasso, and show your ticket afterwards.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 21:12:57 #838786

Hi thanks Arno for the useful info!
    i will use the Peoples Park option and also book the italy leg from Trenitalia website. Thanks again!

Regards,
    Cat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 21:44:42 #838787

Hi again Arno,

am looking at the map and need to ask about the Flexipass. On the Rome – Murren trip, there are 2 legs (Brig – Iselle di Trasquera; Goppenstein – Kandersteg) that are dotted which means its half price? if so, how am i to buy the tickets for this leg? The same question applies to my return trip from Lucerne to Rome – theres a dotted line leg (Goschenen – Airolo) which is also half price? Thanks much.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2013 at 1:40:17 #838788

Hi Cat,

No worries, these legs are just tunnels. They’re fully covered just like other routes in Switzerland. In fact I don’t know why they use dotted lines for the longer tunnels. It’s a bit confusing but you can ignore them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2013 at 5:18:29 #838789

Great, much thanks Arno!

• The thread ‘Rome – Murren – Lucerne – Rome’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.