Rome to Zurich including the Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 10:26:06 #810919

Please can someone help? I want to travel from Rome to Zurich by rail and include the Bernina Express. Could anyone give me a list of the train stations that I would need for my Journey? I am really struggling to understand the route. Thank you so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 16:40:32 #859445

Hi Charlie2612 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From Rome I think the simplest way is to travel to Lugano, Switzerland (via Milan) and then take the Bernina Express bus to Tirano where you will board the train for the trip to Chur. From Chur you can take a regional train to Zurich (about 2 hours)

Read more about the Bernina Express here (route, prices, where to buy etc.) and let me know if everything makes sense to you now.

You can click here for the Swiss railway timetable to help plan times and dates for the Bernina Express train and the train to Zurich from Chur. Here is the page where you can buy the rail ticket from Rome.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 8:27:45 #859446

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If we decide not to travel on the Bernina Express, can we go from Rome, change at Milan the onward travel to Zurich? Will the normal train on this route still travel through the Swiss Alps? Sorry, my geography is bad 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 16:15:50 #859447

Hi Charlie2612,

Yes, you can travel to Zurich from Rome (via Milan). Note though that trains now travel through the Gotthard tunnel (world’s longest) so you will miss a lot of scenery. The other option is to take the Gotthard Panorama Express train, which can take you from Bellinzona to Luzern and then switch to a regional train to Zurich. So this route option would be: Rome – Milan – Bellinzona – Luzern – Switzerland (3 trains total).

No worries about geography issues! Note that Google Maps is very useful to give you an idea of where you are going (it always gives you the fastest routes though).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rome to Zurich including the Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.