Rough itinerary for May 12-24 trip to Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2016 at 3:03:09 #848885

yes that’s what the timetable suggested. trains Thun – Bern – Lausanne- Nyon- boat to Yvoire.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2016 at 1:53:44 #848886

Thank you for all of the above!!! I have read through it all. Several more times will help me digest it. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2016 at 2:00:24 #848887

Thanks-

Hope it helps.

Mostly, I was reacting to your notes.

Still have to do the Jungfrau region (Wengen), where your notes seem to have a lot of duplication.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 March 2016 at 0:54:16 #848888

Hi Danielle –

Your notes here have a lot of overlap and duplication..

<<“sleep in WEngen– 4 nights May 19, 20, 21, 22 boat trips on Lakes Thun and Brienz, which bookend Interlaken, are fantastic 30 minute train ride from Interlaken take the Jungfrau Railway, which runs up inside the mountain — to viewing areas on the Eiger’s face and beyond, with the cogwheel train culminating at Jungfraujoch, Europe’s highest-altitude railway stop. Grindelwald Sports–paragliding . — Europe’s longest tobaggon run Bungee jump?? boat rides on the two lovely Alpine lakes bookending Interlaken – each lake has several neat places to get off and look around and back on another boat. I.Hike Trummelbaach Falls – 10 glacier waterfalls The bicycle ride from Murren to Gimmelwald to the valley is awesome – book bikes in advance? Jungfrau – some parts are closed in May — The cograil to Jungfrau via Kleine Scheidegg will be running….it runs all year around. Hike Northface Trail — Not open? Lauterbrunnen Valley – 72 waterfalls — see Staubbach Falls (941feet)

Eiger Trail –The Eiger North Wall is close enough to touch from the Eiger Trail and the various world-famous climbing routes to the notorious Eiger summit are easy to spot. -guessing way too difficult for us? and not open either? Heimwehfluh — old fashioned funicular railway — — 985 foot bobsled run down you will be in Lauterbrunnen in between seasons. The high elevation walks won’t be available (usually not until June 15) but the walks along the valley floor (Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg) and up above it (Grütschalp to Mürren) are lovely“>>

In general, when you are in Wengen, you’ll find good scenery via the cograil, and nice walks on the valley floor or just above it. The falls are nice at that time of year.

High trails will be closed, and many tourist services will be closed, but not all.

If you could get up to Schynige Platte, you ‘d have spectacular views of the lakes.

You wrote

<<“Jungfrau – some parts are closed in May”>>

The Jungfrau is never closed at any season. In fact, I don’t know what exactly is meant by “part of……the Jungfrau.” I think you mean that many tourist services in the Jungfrau Region are closed… true, but not all are closed..

The Eiger Trail across the foot of the north face will almost surely be closed. This link is very useful. Note the update at the bottom of the page.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

That web site has a whole lot of stuff. Check the various tabs.

If you are able to walk the Eiger Trail, wear boots, expect wet spots, take hiking staffs, and expect to walk on scree. The trail seems fairly level at first look, but has a tiring series of small ups and owns, as well as a major descent to Alpiglen at the end. Hard on your knees unless they are in good shape.

Mürren down to Gimmelwald is a very short walk…easy unless the trail s slippery. Bikes are not a good idea if the trail is slippery. If you do not have a Rick Steve’s book in your pocket while you are in Gimmelwald, you will be the only visitor without one. 😉

Options for cloudy weather on high are the lake boat rides you mention. They may have limited service because the may still be on winter schedules. Use the timetable…..did I say that before?

Bad weather optons:

Bern is a nice day trip. Frequent trains from Interlaken Ost.

The train to Brig from Spiez over the old route (via Kandersteg, avoid the”basis tunnel”) makes a great ride, and the Rhone Valley on the other side of the Alps is often sunny and dry. Use the timetable. It is not a long trip.

Nice hike on the Südrampe Trail, if you want to consider it: Would take a fair portion of one day for the whole trip. Likely to be sunny, or, at least, not foggy and cloudy if the Jungfrau Region is socked in.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Brienz-

visit Jobin, including small museum with small fee.

http://www.jobin.ch

Every music box that I have bought there for my granddaughter is highly appreciated.

Come back in warmer weather when the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn is running. See attached,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2016 at 16:31:13 #848889

Thanks so much for clarifying details. I have been “off the grid” without internet for the last 10 days or so. Yes, some of my notes, I took down from various things I read which could be inaccurate. Back to planning for me. I so appreciate all of your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • The thread ‘Rough itinerary for May 12-24 trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.