SBB and Half fare Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2015 at 2:55:25 #807859

First I would like to thank all helping at the forum, I just made a short trip to Switzerland to attend a conference and all went so well because of the information on this site. I will be returning again for a year-end trip with kids.

I need to clarify:

I was was told by an European traveler in Switzerland that I will get cheaper train tickets with my half-fare pass with SBB app or online instead of at the vending machine in the train station. True?

Need to check that on this website, that the Swiss Pass gets 25% to Jungfrau while Half-fare pass enjoys 50%? As I have a flexi combi, so I would like to wisely use the correct pass to go to Jungfrau to maximise my budget. Did I read the website correctly?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 September 2015 at 5:01:55 #845839

Hi peace,

Tickets are always 50% discounted if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, regardless of how you buy them.

With a Swiss Travel Pass, Interlaken to Wengen or Grindelwald is free, and the remaining part is 25% discounted. With a Swiss Half Fare Card, the whole trip is 50% discounted. As for the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi: if you don’t use a free travel day, you will get a 50% discount on the whole trip, just like a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2015 at 5:11:51 #845840

Dear Arno,

Thank you for the prompt reply and the clear explanation! Also, thanks for recommending use of SBB app in this forum, it helps to plan my trip so easily.

In this case,since I am staying in Grindelwald. I guess I will use SwissPass for to and fro Grindelwald/Zurich but plan another day to Jungfrau using half-fare during my stay at Grindelwald to max the discount value.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 September 2015 at 6:29:30 #845841

You’re welcome! Yes, you can use the pass as you described. Note that it’s called Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Travel Pass Flex. SwissPass is something else.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘SBB and Half fare Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.