SBB compulsory reservations Lugano to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 1:51:16 #812401

Hi All: We have a Swiss Travel Pass and plan to take the direct fast train from Lugano to Milan. the Online booking of SBB says reservation for this particular train is Compulsory but there is no direction on the site showing HOW the reservation can be done. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 June 2017 at 10:55:49 #865737

Hi Matmas,

SBB is mainly geared to domestic travelers and does not show tourist passes while booking. Perhaps that’s what is causing the confusion here. With a Swiss Travel Pass there is no need to book anything for the Swiss leg of the trip. All you need is a regular ticket for the Italian leg (Chiasso – Milan), which includes a seat reservation if required for that particular train (only the EuroCity trains require reservations). You can get such a ticket from any of the websites listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:40:14 #865738

Thanks for this. I have a related question then. So if I’m going from Lucerne to Milan on a Swiss Travel Pass, my travel is free within Switzerland, but I have to pay for the Italian portion of the trip, right? When should I do that? Before I board in Lucerne?

thanks!

Leane

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:53:24 #865739

Hi Leane,

You will need to have a ticket before you board. You can buy it from the websites listed in my link (see my previous post). You can also buy it in Lucerne but if reservations are required for that train it is risky to wait until the last minute.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 21:48:37 #865740

Thanks Arno

We have also plan to travel for a couple of days in Italy. Hence in our case, if we just buy a EuroPass Italy for 2 days, will it work to cover the Italian segment of the Lugano to Milan trip automatically then? Thank you again.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2017 at 6:52:01 #865741

Hi Matmas,

If you mean the Eurail Italy Pass (http://www.raileurope.ca/rail -tickets-passes/eurail-italy-pass/index.html), then yes, it includes that segment too. But reservations should be purchased separately in that case, if you need them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 17:29:23 #865742

Hi Arno:

spent some time on the web and found out that Trenitlaiia offers a direct booking and SBB sent me a direct link to their booking site as well to pay the difference in fares. Thank you very much for your prompt advice as well, much appreciated.

• The thread ‘SBB compulsory reservations Lugano to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.