SBB ticket rules

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2015 at 18:16:17 #807681

I’m pricing a ticket on SBB from Geneve to Murren in September. I want to stop at Chateau Chillon for an hour or two on the way – taking a short boat ride from Montreaux to reach the castle and then take the more scenic train route through Gstaad on to Murren. SBB is routing me through Villeneuve even though I don’t want to go there but the boat that stops at Chillon continues on there. Also the ticket seems to end at Stechelbach- not Murren. Are the times on this ticket flexible and do we have all day to get to Stechelbach as long as we follow this route? Are all the boat rides included in the price or do they have to be specified on the ticket?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 August 2015 at 19:06:49 #844979

Have not looked at a map about Villeneuve, but, the computer will follow a default algorithm unless you force it to do what you want. Make sure that you use the “via” option.

You might price defined segments then add them up “off line.”

Have you considered whether you have enough travel to justify a 1/2 Fare Card or a Swiss Travel Pass?

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Not sure where Stechelbach is. The bus stop that connects you with the lift for Mürren stops at Stechelberg.

Another choice is to go up at Lauterbrunnen ( to Grüttschalp) and transfer to the train (trolley) to Mürren.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=169104.76&Y=648801.9 8&zoom=4&lang=en&topic =ech&bgLayer=ch.swisst opo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers_opacity=0 ,0&layers=ch.swisstopo .geologie-geotechnik-gk500-gesteinsklassierung,ch .swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2015 at 8:53:24 #844980

If I understand your plans correctly you need a train ticket from Geneva to Mürren via Montreux and Zweisimmen. It can be purchased in Geneva or online. Additionally you need a (boat) ticket from Montreux to the Château de Chillon and back. You can buy that in Montreux.

The Swiss Half Fare Card that Slowpoke mentioned might be worth looking into. It allows you to buy those tickets with a 50% discount and also comes in handy in Mürren as I assume you’ll be using cable cars and trains there too.

Tickets are good for the day so you can make stops wherever you like. The ticket from Montreux to the castle might be time limited, but you’ll buy it on the spot so that’s no problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 15:06:06 #844981

I’ve done a bit more research and just found out that the Supersave sale tickets rules state that you must take the train specified, not just the route. That’s so disappointing. If I’m correct, for the flexibility that I want, stopping at the castle on the way and taking a boat to or from it, I need to buy the regular ticket. Is that right? I’m also worried about missing a connection since we are not used to train travel. It’s still a bit cheaper than the 58CHF after nine o’clock day pass ticket which would give us all day on the train. We will probably buy the half price card if we don’t rent a car instead.

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 August 2015 at 15:22:18 #844982

Supersaver tickets are indeed tied to a specific train (see here). Their inflexibility is the reason they’re cheaper. A Swiss Half Fare Card and regular tickets are a better choice in your case. Even if you do rent a car (which I do not recommend as you can’t use it in Mürren), a Swiss Half Fare Card comes in handy as it provides discounts on cable cars, boats and cogwheel trains. You can purchase one through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card. All purchase options are listed here.

• The thread ‘SBB ticket rules’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.