Partial Bernina and Glacier Express route schedule

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 6:40:01 #811101

Is it possible to do a full or part of Bernina express and Glaccier Express tour in one day? I tried to find it from timetable but its showing Only direct route. What should i select in advanced options to show the transport by only bernina or glaciers express

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 6:57:04 #860164

Hi Shaah,

Yes there are stops on both of those trains. You can search the timetable for the route you want (what towns to you want to travel to on these trains?). Search for that route you want – the Glacier Express and Bernina Express or labelled as GEX and BEX on the timetable.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 7:11:58 #860165

Thanks Lucas

i searched through all the stops between them. But could not find where to interchange. As the bernina express from chur towards st morittz leave at 8 in the morning and glacier at 13:00. Is there only one bernina express runs in a day from chur?

i don’t have any specific towns or stops to go. Just like to catch and have a short tour using both express.

as i will stay in luzern please suggest where to catch bernina or glacier xpress – interchange then come back to luzern.

Actually i tried to figure out a lot by visiting both the page and timetable but couldn’t

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 9:31:07 #860166

Hi Shaah,

From Luzern it would be hard to do parts of both trains in one day.

The simplest option for you is to travel on the Glacier Express from Chur to Brig (or the opposite depending on the times that will work for you) and then return to Luzern from either town. Travel from Luzern to either town is about 2 hours.

On some days there is only 1 Glacier Express or Bernina Express panoramic train yes. Although you can take the same route on a ‘regular’ train several more times per day.

Does that help?
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 10:49:42 #860167

If i live in chur instead of lucerne, will it be possible to do the partial tour using both express in one day? In the previous post you mentioned glacier express from chur to brig but didn’t mention bernina express!

Only option i found from timetable to use both express is : if i reach Chur by 13:00 then take Glacier express at 13:55 to reach Filisur at 15:00. From filisur take RE at 15:02 to Samedan and R to Pontrasina. Catch Bernina express from Pintrosina at 16:16 to Chur.

Only problem i am facing here is. In filisur i have only 2 minutes to interchange . If i miss that i will miss bernina

is there any other option?

sorry to ask so many questions

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 16:47:39 #860168

Hi Shaah,

Yes, that is a tight connection!

As I said in the previous post, I would suggest only doing the Glacier Express (perhaps the whole journey from Chur to Zermatt and then back to Luzern?) rather than doing a little bit of the Glacier Express and a little bit of the Bernina Express.
    It’s a complicated schedule to do both in one day even starting in Chur rather than Luzern (as you can see with your timetable you found!).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 5:27:18 #860169

most scenic part of bernina express is bus ride from lugano to tirano, so if you are planning to do bernina do include this in your trip

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 March 2017 at 7:27:55 #860170

I agree with Lucas, combining these trains in one day is too complicated and time consuming. Also note that the Bernina Express and Glacier Express routes are partly the same: the Chur to Samedan section in your last post is used by both trains anyway. If you want to see as much as possible in one day I’d suggest to focus on the routes, not on the “official” express trains, as there are many more trains on the same route. That results in more flexibility. Finally, the Glacier Express page Lucas mentioned in his first reply provides some interesting combinations of the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express. That might be better option to see a lot of scenery in one day.

Have a wonderful day!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 12:18:37 #860171

Got all the answers: you peoples are great. Thanks a million

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 12:28:32 #860172

Thanks Rajikadinesh. Its somethng interesting. Do you have any idea will tirano to lugano by bus be included in my swiss travel pass?

i now planning to take bernina express from chur to Lugano then go to see Contra Dam. Its very famous in india cos a popular indian movie was shot in this Dam. Hope it will possible in one day,- from chur to lugano by bernina then to Contra Dam and then back to Lucerne using regular train .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 12:45:11 #860173

your trip from lugano to tirano or vice versa would be included in swiss pass, but you are suppose to pay 14 chf reservation charges per person

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 March 2017 at 17:47:27 #860174

The bus is indeed included in the Swiss Travel Pass as explained by Rajikadinesh. A map of everything included can be found here: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

Visiting the dam that same day won’t be possible. You’ll arrive in Lugano at 5:30 PM, which is too late to make it to the dam and back. You can check the timetable by entering “Diga Verzasca” as the destination.

• The thread ‘Partial Bernina and Glacier Express route schedule’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.