Scenic trip ideas from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 20:20:18 #813011

Hi,

I mainly need help with completing my itinerary for deciding 2 more days (total 4 days) scenic trips from Lucerne. As of now, I got information to take Goldenpass line train from Lucerne to Interlaken OST however this trip will complete in 2 hrs. I would be interested to know how/where to plan the rest of the day 1 and 2nd full day from Lucerne.

I would also like to know what is the best way to enjoy the scenic trip, Should it be just stay in train or hop on, hop off (not sure if possible) from the train. If hop on and on then how well we can utilize time in goldenpass train from Lucerne. Really appreciate if someone can guide.

we are 2 families (5 Adults + 2 kids) travelling for 4 days to Switzerland and staying all these days in Lucerne and already planned 2 days – 1 day to Mt. Pilatus + Lucerne lake boat trip and 1 day to Mt. Titilis.

I am still flexible to refine my itinerary if anyone shares/suggests how one can well spend 4 days in beautiful Switzerland.

Thanks

Krish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2017 at 22:41:23 #868614

Hello Krish and welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are going to Interlaken here are some ideas for places to visit in the Jungfrau Region http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

For more ideas for things to do in and around Luzern see http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

The Swiss Transport Museum is well worth a visit.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 1:47:02 #868615

Hi Krish –

When are you going? Makes a difference for high Alpine areas.

Adding to Rockoyster’s comments, amplified by the link he provided, Interlaken by itself is not much of a scenic destination. The spectacular scenery is further on, at Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, Muerren, Kleine Scheidegg, and so on. Those are 30 minutes to a couple of hours further in the valley.

That is where the time adds up; those are slow but very scenic mountain trains.

On the route form Luzern to IO, just stay on the train. The real scenery comes later, in the areas mentioned, where you can get off the train as desired (depending on time available) , and wait for the next one.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 10:25:35 #868616

Thanks Rockoyster and Slowpoke for answers to my questions. Your suggestions are leads to some other questions to final my plan, appreciate if you could answers.

Are the mountain trains to these Jungfrau places (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, Muerren, Kleine Scheidegg and so on) are covered free with Swiss pass?

Are these Jungfrau region places are on the way to going on top of Jungfrau from Interlake? if so I will then include my plan to cover Mt. Jungfrau as earlier I drop because from Lucerne it seems to me lots of travel however I was unsure about the scenic route. Please advise.

Many thanks, Krish

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2017 at 10:44:51 #868617

Hi Krish,

To see what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass see the validity map at myswissalps-doc.r.worldssl.net/doc s/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=34

From Wengen or Grindelwald you only get 25% discount on the trip up to Jungfraujoch. It is quite expensive so you want to make sure the weather is conducive to heading up there before deciding.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 14:11:59 #868618

Hi Krish-

When are you going? Time of year matters a lot in the high Alps.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 14:33:00 #868619

Hi Rockoyster and Slowpoke, Thanks a lot for your inputs.Below I have come with my final plan, please feel free to advise to make it more r. Hope I have not made my plan too tiring. Sorry, I didn’t mentioned before, I would be arriving to Basel around 9:00AM next week Sunday for 4 days. We are 2 families 5 Adults and 2 kids and very very excited to make the trip unforgettable for a life 🙂

Day 1: arriving 12:00PM to Lucerne (from Basel) – Lake Lucerne boat trip and visit to chapel bridge and Lion Monument

Day 2: start from Lucerne at 7AM -> Interlaken ->Lauterbrunnen -> Wengen – >Kleine Scheidegg ->Top of Jungrau.(optional in case weather doesn’t permit to go on top then follow Day 3 plan)

Day 3: Interlaken ->Lauterbrunnen -> Wengen -> Grindelwald and Muerren (optional: ?)

Day 4 – Start from Lucerne at 8 -> Engelberg -> Mount titlis (back to Basel to catch flight at 10:30PM)

Many thanks, Krish

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 14:54:19 #868620

Hi Krish –

Glad to hear that you are not going in November. 😉

That looks like a good set of plans. Obviously a long day for Jungfraujoch. Good weather information specific to being a tourist is available at tourist offices and train stations in the Jungfrau regions.

The tourist information office by track 2 in Luzern main station can be very useful. Not at 7AM, unfortunately. But, they would be able to help the day before., and with other information.

There are good webcams for the region:

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1010222761

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Scenic trip ideas from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.