Schedule for BLM train or Cable car to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2010 at 18:35:33 #804433

We will be traveling to Murren, from Oberammergau, Germany on September 15, 2010 and need to find out what time the last train and/or cable car go up to Murren from either Stechelberg or Lauterbrunnen and I am having trouble finding a schedule and using the Timetable that is on http://www.schilthorn.ch

Could someone tell me what time the last transportation is on September 15th and/or where to find a schedule..we want to be sure we get up to Murren because we have a hotel reservation.

Thanks..Pat from Boston

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 August 2010 at 3:56:53 #833313

Hello Pat! I understand that the Schilthorn timetable is somewhat confusing. The last regular cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren seems to leave at 18.03h, but there’s an additional late night service leaving at 23.45h as well. This connects to the latest bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, which runs between 23.28h and 23.40h. The bus connections can be found through the general SBB timetable.

As for the cable car and train connection through Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp, which is available in the SBB timetable as well: the last cable car from Lauterbrunnen up to Grütschalp leaves at 20.31h. At 20.37h the last train will depart from Grütschalp to Mürren.

I hope it’s clear now! Good luck with planning your trip and have a great stay in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2010 at 8:30:08 #833314

Dear Annika,

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply and information. This is exactly what I needed and I really appreciate it.

Pat Tradd (Boston):-)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2010 at 8:42:27 #833315

Hello Again,

I actually have 2 more questions. Is it possible to take the BLM train up to Murren and the Cable-car back ? And, could you tell me what the roundtrip fares are ? We will not have a Swiss Pass but we are seniors.

Thanks again, Pat Tradd

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 August 2010 at 18:32:19 #833316

Hi Pat,

Sounds like a great trip!

The last transport from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (cable car to Grutschalp, train to Murren) on Sept 15 is 8:31 pm. There is one an hour earlier at 7:31 pm.

However, the cable car up from Stechelberg (Stechelberg Schilthornbahn) runs as late as 11:45 pm. The last bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg departs at 11:28 pm and arrives at 11:40 pm.

You can research fares and timetables for all the mountain area transports (trains, gondolas, cable cars) at http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-4//327_read-2542/.

Best,

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 August 2010 at 18:37:54 #833317

Hi again,
    Sorry to repeat Annika’s response! Just to be clear, there are two ways to get to Murren:

1. Take the cable car up from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp, then the train from Grutschalp to Murren.
    2. Take the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg station, then the gondola up to Murren from there. This is the same gondola that then continues on to Schilthorn.

You can get fares at the web site I noted below.

You don’t say how long you will be in the Bernese Oberland/Switzerland, but if you are not planning on getting some sort of travel discount pass I would encourage you to re-think that decision. Transportation is Switzerland is very high quality, extremely well coordinated, and runs exactly on time. However, it is quite expensive, particularly in the higher mountain regions. My recommendation would be to purchase a Half Fare Card for 99 CHF (one for each traveler over age 15) when you arrive in the country and you will receive 50% off of all transport.

Best,

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 August 2010 at 3:11:19 #833318

Thank you for your tips, Kim. The Swiss Half Fare Card might be a good option if you plan to make more trips in Switzerland than just this one, Pat. More information and purchase options can be found here.

Just to make sure: you can indeed get up to Mürren the one way and down again the other way, making a round trip. The trip via Grütschalp by cable car and train costs CHF 10.20 per person. A bus trip from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg costs CHF 4.00, and the cable car ride up to Mürren from Stechelberg is CHF 10.20. There are no discounts for seniors.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2011 at 20:54:11 #833319

[quote]Annika said: Thank you for your tips, Kim. The Swiss Half Fare Card might be a good option if you plan to make more trips in Switzerland than just this one, Pat. More information and purchase options can be found here.

Just to make sure: you can indeed get up to Mürren the one way and down again the other way, making a round trip. The trip via Grütschalp by cable car and train costs CHF 10.20 per person. A bus trip from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg costs CHF 4.00, and the cable car ride up to Mürren from Stechelberg is CHF 10.20. There are no discounts for seniors.[/quote]

Hi,
    My sister and I plan to buy a 15-day swiss saver pass 2nd class when we arrive at zurich airport on 4july 2011 and will immediately proceed to Murren where we have a hotel reservation for 5 nights. We plan to take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp then the train to Murren. We wish to explore Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald and other villages which require us to ride on the cable car again during our stay perhaps several trips. We may leave at the end of our stay via Stechelberg.

My questions are: is there any discount (with swiss pass) for each cable car/mountain train trip from/to Lauterbrunnen to/from Murren or other mountain villages?
    How should we plan our itinerary in the mountain to minimise transport expenses?

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 May 2011 at 14:43:18 #833320

Hi nurheidi,

Welcome to the forum! You can best check the map we link to from the Swiss Pass page. It shows you every detail of where you can travel for free or discounted. You can reach Mürren for free with a Swiss Saver Pass, either via Lauterbrunnen or via Stechelberg.

Did you compare resellers and prices at the Swiss Pass page? Depending on where you’re from, it might be cheaper and more convenient to buy your pass in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2011 at 5:21:02 #833321

Thank you Arno for your reply. I’m pleased to know that the swiss pass covers my transportation right up to Murren.

We are from South East Asia. We are not sure if there is any reseller in our country to compare prices but the swiss travel system site says we hv to pay CHF 790 for two persons for swiss saver pass 2nd class if we buy in switzerland. Do you know of any cheaper alternative? By the way I’m from Malaysia.

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 May 2011 at 5:26:11 #833322

You’re welcome! The easiest way to find out about resellers and prices is to go to the Swiss Pass page I mentioned, and select your country and travelers in the upper right corner. Then you’ll see the options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2011 at 2:53:33 #833323

Hi, I remember there was a kind of Half Fare Card costs CHF99 as Kim suggested but was unable to find it now! The cheapest one available in the SBB website is CHF165 for 1 year.

Also, the SBB website does not indicate whether the journey is by train or cable car. Is there any way to find out?

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2011 at 3:54:25 #833324

Hi Marvin,

There is a one month Swiss Half Fare Card as well. Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Stechelberg is by postcar and cable car. The route via Grütschalp is by cable car and narrow gauge train.

• The thread ‘Schedule for BLM train or Cable car to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.