Schengen Visa Query

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 June 2015 at 23:36:14 #807482

Hi

I would be travelling from Delhi to Zurich and found a good flight with KLM Royal Dutch via Amsterdam.
    Now, I have been issued Schengen Visa by the Swiss Embassy and if I take this flight, I will have to do immigration in Amsterdam. I have no plans of staying in Amsterdam and have an onward flight to Switzerland.

Is this possible?

Do I need transit visa for Amsterdam? I read somewhere that the port of Entry in Schengen states should be the same as the one granting the visa.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2015 at 0:46:51 #844091

I have come through Amsterdam to Switzerland from the USA several times.

I clear passport control (immigration) in Amsterdam, then have no passport check in Switzerland.

I believe you should have the same experience, but I don’t write the rules. Maybe Arno knows?

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 June 2015 at 9:35:25 #844092

Did you also have a schengen visa?

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 June 2015 at 10:45:53 #844093

Hi msra7hm2,

You can find two useful links here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2015 at 12:02:46 #844094

<<“Did you also have a schengen visa?”>>

No, only a USA passport. A Schengen visa is not required for USA citizens, as far as i know.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    30 June 2015 at 10:02:13 #844095

Oh US Visa is a different case altogether. It enjoys a lot of privileges 🙂

I am looking for someone travelling to Zurich via another schengen state, who has a schengen visa issued by Swiss Embassy, to confirm if immigration in another state is permissible.

Thanks for the links!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    2 July 2015 at 9:26:44 #844096

I got the official reply from Swiss Embassy this morning:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing Switzerland Visa Help Desk. We understand that you would like to know about the visa process. We would like to inform you that :-

1. You have to apply from Swiss Embassy as your maximum number of days are in Switzerland.

2. First port of entry does not need to be the same country from where you are applying for your visa

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 July 2015 at 10:35:18 #844097

Thanks a lot for sharing that!

• The thread ‘Schengen Visa Query’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.